PDA

View Full Version : Finally had to give up... cleaning up anothers mess

Adam's Polishes
09-04-2007, 04:55 PM
My dad is expecting delivery of a brand new 2008 C6 Z51 Vette next week in the new jet stream blue metallic (reminds me of le mans blue) His current (2006 Black C6) is going to be traded in and hes been hounding me to detail it for him. I`ve been so swamped lately that I haven`t had time to get around to it... I`ve maintained this car from the day he got it so I knew it wouldn`t really require much effort to get it flawless. The last detail I did on it was just over 2 months ago and we`ve had nothing but sunny skies.

Late last week a mobile detailer came to my dads office and was offering a wash special, he inquired about a full detail and getting some light swirls out that had appeared during his last wash. It was nothing against me, he just didn`t want me to feel obligated to clear out paying customers for him. Anyways... the guy says he can buff the car out and proceeds to detail the car.

I was aware of this when the car came to my house today, and I was also aware that my pops wasn`t happy with what the guy had done... It was pretty dusty so before I put in under the lights I went ahead and washed it. Even during the wash something seemed off... the paint felt really rough... almost sticky. Even in low light I was seeing swirls and some serious scratches accompanied by MAJOR buffer trails and holograms. I started to get a bit worried.

Dried it off and pulled it into the garage, closed the door (even though its over 100* out today) and gasped in horror. The flawless black paint I had maintained from the very first day it rolled off the trailer was RUINED!!

I gathered myself and went straight for my Adams S&HR on a white (mild) durafoam pad and defined my test area as the passender side front fender... 1st pass it became obvious its beyond saving... I was pulling up black paint... the clear is, for the most part, GONE!!

I contacted my dad, got the number to the "detailer" that had done this and called him directly... I maintained a professional attitude. I simply asked what had been done to the car. Of course the guy denied that he did it and it was that way when he showed up (HA!) this "PROFESSIONAL" had used a rotary with a wool pad and to buff out light swirls... then proceeded to do the ENTIRE CAR!!! So basically this hack took near flawless paint and destroyed it.

All I could do was apply a light polish to the car on a white pad at low speed, I then hand waxed the entire thing with Adams Buttery Wax and laid a layer of DER Shiney Stuff over that... fortunately unless the car is in direct sunlight it doesn`t look at all bad.

Theres really no spots that look too thin right now except a small spot on the rear fender and one on the nose where you can see thru the pigment under hard sunlight.

Has anyone ever run across something like this before?? What course of action can someone take?? The guy is vehemently denying that he did any of the damage... thing is I don`t know how to, nor do I work with a rotary, and I`m the only other one whos detailed the car. The car will be inspected by the dealer this weekend and they said they wouldn`t ding my pops on the trade if it all possible and they`d eat the cost of repair (as in pay to have the car sanded and reshot with clear so they can resell it), but I`d still like some satisfaction and to make people aware of the damage this hack job "detailer" is doing to cars. :bat

RJones
09-04-2007, 05:11 PM
I think with damage that severe, you might wanna think about sueing the "Professional detailer". I highly doubt a dealer will eat the cost of repairing a clearcoat, they will make more money off you somehow.

Scottwax
09-04-2007, 05:19 PM
I hope you got a lot of pictures before you buffed it out or you don`t have any proof he messed up the car in the first place. You did take pictures before you started, right? I took a bunch of pictures of my brother`s truck when a body shop trashed it and they were instrumental in helping my brother win a $10,000 settlement against the shop.

What you should have done is had your Dad call him and ask him to come out and look at the car with you present and documented everything.

Adam's Polishes
09-04-2007, 05:52 PM
I think with damage that severe, you might wanna think about sueing the "Professional detailer". I highly doubt a dealer will eat the cost of repairing a clearcoat, they will make more money off you somehow.

We`re lucky that the owner of this particular dealer is a personal friend of the family so I`m sure they`ll do their best to take care of us. Honestly I think the clear is spotty... the panels that got it the worst are the hood, front fenders and the curve around the upper edge of the rear fender... the doors appeared to be OK, but I didn`t even bother correcting them b/c it would look odd to have a car with perfect doors and everything else screwed up. Hopfefully after a body shop gets a look at it they`ll be able to maybe just reshoot the panels that need it.

I hope you got a lot of pictures before you buffed it out or you don`t have any proof he messed up the car in the first place. You did take pictures before you started, right? I took a bunch of pictures of my brother`s truck when a body shop trashed it and they were instrumental in helping my brother win a $10,000 settlement against the shop.

What you should have done is had your Dad call him and ask him to come out and look at the car with you present and documented everything.

Everything was documented today, tons of pics, whats gonna screw us (at least I think) is the fact that this happend last week and I got my first look at it today. I`m sure the guy can claim all kinds of BS given it has been a week since he put is "professional touch on it.

I am having second thoughts about posting this as it might complicate matters down the line if this goes the legal route.

FYI - the guys company was called Tech (or Tec) Detailing if anyone is curious.

Setec Astronomy
09-04-2007, 06:37 PM
Well, it`s all fun and games until someone loses a clearcoat...add this to the long list of "professional" detailing horror stories.