PDA

View Full Version : Debadging and holes... ideas

J.J.
09-03-2007, 07:30 AM
I debadged my Mazda yesterday and although I knew there were three holes behind the "Mazda" emblem, I decided I liked the look a lot better w/o the badge.

I now have three tiny holes below the rear taillight that need some sort of filler. I don`t have the money for a professional fill and paint.

Any one have any other creative ideas for repair? Painted plugs or something?

JJ

Monte78Carlo2k1
09-03-2007, 03:40 PM
There is no easy..well there is but it isn`t going to be cheap. I would not put filler in those holes. Have the welded and smoothed then what ever filler you want to use. The less filler needed the better!

The only idea I have and if it was my car would be to put the badge back on. Until you can afford to fix it the right way. That`s a new car and no need in taking short cuts. My opinion take it for what it is worth to you. Good luck on what ever you choose to do.

clipperfan
09-03-2007, 06:46 PM
+1 on that advice. Put the badge back or it`s going to look ghetto.

Accumulator
09-04-2007, 12:13 PM
Hmm..the "flying "M" " is the one badge I left on the hatch of the MPV :think:

I had the other holes welded and filled. I agree with the others, hold off until if/when you have it done right.

You could check out the place that sells plugs for plastic bumpers (bumperplugs dot com or something like that) but I think those will be too big.

Ern
09-04-2007, 01:02 PM
Hmm..the "flying "M" " is the one badge I left on the hatch of the MPV :think:

I had the other holes welded and filled. I agree with the others, hold off until if/when you have it done right.

You could check out the place that sells plugs for plastic bumpers (bumperplugs dot com or something like that) but I think those will be too big.

Ya you could do that but if the holes are to big, it wont look right.

Accumulator
09-04-2007, 06:16 PM
Ya you could do that [with bumper plugs] but if the holes are to big, it wont look right.

Yeah, I suspect it wouldn`t look good, but I figured I`d try to post something at least a *little* positive :D

I *am* a bif fan of debadging, but I dunno if I`d give up factory paint over it. I wanted to do it to the MPV for ages, then an elderly woman rear-ended me and it was an easy decision.

sleepercoupe
09-25-2007, 03:49 PM
re-badge it

LazerRed1
09-25-2007, 07:57 PM
Just use your imagination. There are probably many ways to plug the holes at little or no cost. Don`t be afraid to get creative, then one day when you get disposable income, have them filled and painted.

kkreit01
09-26-2007, 01:45 PM
I would never debadge if I knew there were holes behind.

Did you do it in your garage? Is that why were are the the garage forum? :)

BobD
09-26-2007, 01:54 PM
What about a better looking emblem like one in blue carbon fiber or something?

J.J.
09-26-2007, 07:38 PM
Thanks for all the recommendations. I have purchased some fiberglass, plug filler w/ hardner, sandpaper and paint. This will be a nice weekend "how to" with pics. Looking forward to it!

JJ

wkasak
09-27-2007, 02:03 PM
:nixweiss Paint the badge the same color as the body and reinstall it to cover the holes? Won`t be debadged but will fade into the body color and be less noticable? I guess it depends on what badge, how big it is, and where it is located?

tksmr2
11-03-2007, 09:25 PM
:nixweiss Paint the badge the same color as the body and reinstall it to cover the holes? Won`t be debadged but will fade into the body color and be less noticable? I guess it depends on what badge, how big it is, and where it is located?

Exactly what I was thinking. Paint the badges the same color as the car.. it won`t be noticible to most.

To do it right you have to weld those holes shut and use a super tiny amount of filler if any at all. Otherwise.. no matter what you will see were the holes were, if not right away less than a year down the road, you will see were the holes were.