PDA

View Full Version : M21 Removal problem

Redbird74
09-02-2007, 08:14 PM
I was trying to be a good son-in-law today and was giving a quick wash and interior to my mother-in-law`s Nissan X-Trail. I decided on a whim to put on a coat of M21 since the last wax it got was in early May and was NXT. I put on a thin coat, same as I have on my own car in the past and let it cure for about an hour or so while I gave the interior a quick vacuum and wipedown. I went back to remove the 21 and it was going great all over until I got to a few spots. They felt very rough and the sealant wasn`t coming off. By this point it was dark in the driveway and I kept working around. The area under the rear spoiler won`t come off and the entire passenger side is now not removing properly. Is this a case that this side is not yet cured? I tried a little squirt of Last Touch on the panel and it made no difference. I`m leaving it for now and waiting to see what it`s like in the morning. Has anyone had this happen? Any ideas? I`ve always had M21 be a pleasure to remove.

BigAl3
09-02-2007, 08:50 PM
They felt very rough and the sealant wasn`t coming off.

one of the reasons could be because you have bonded contaminants on top of the surface...

Redbird74
09-02-2007, 09:11 PM
I understand what you`re getting at there, but I don`t think this is the issue. Only because it is the case over basically entire panels on the passenger side.

Setec Astronomy
09-02-2007, 10:18 PM
My M21 is a sample ketchup bottle from ADS. When I first got it, I tried it out and got the drops of water in it as had been reported, but I applied it, and I was thoroughly unimpressed with the gloss, slickness, and durability.

A couple months ago I decided to try it again, so I squeezed the bottle onto the car and got just water. So I shook it up really well, and it was like a different product! Went on and came off completely differently, left the surface really slick, etc.

I`m just wondering if yours had separated and it is acting differently because you are effectively using a different product on different parts of the car.

Redbird74
09-02-2007, 10:33 PM
I guess it is possible that this is the problem. I`ve got a 16 oz. bottle of 21 and made sure I shook it VERY well before using, knowing about this problem. I don`t think I shook it too often as I used it, but it did not appear any different as I moved around the car and did not feel any different as I applied it. Everything seemed very normal about it.

Setec Astronomy
09-02-2007, 10:37 PM
Well, I dunno. This product really seems to have some mixing issues, however.

Redbird74
09-02-2007, 11:34 PM
You may be right, Setec, I`m open to any answers at this point. It may have been an issue of not shaking enough during the application. It`s definitely not curing, though. Looks like I`ll be claying a lot of the car in the morning and then re-applying. I`m mad at myself for letting this happen.

imported_Shaun Carollo
09-03-2007, 12:23 AM
I have been using #21 since last summer, and I FINALLY finished it all up. I hate it compared to #20. Good ol #20 has never let me down. No removal problems, and NO streaking. I hated the extra time spent on dark colored cars removing the excess oils. Durability for me was about the same. I wasn`t unhappy with #20 before I tried #21, but I like to try it all, I just should have bought a little 16 oz. sampler bottle and not a half gal.

Redbird74
09-03-2007, 11:05 AM
Mystery solved. Upon inspection this morning in much better light, it appeared the roughness I was feeling in some areas was actually overspray. I was seeing some of it on some windows and some trim and after claying all of what I thought was stubborn 21 off, I still had some rough areas, mostly on horizontal surfaces. I did some serious claying in spots that were sprayed and seem to have gotten it all off and reapplied my 21. The LSP was never the problem, only the prep. It had been clayed in spring, so I wasn`t going to do a real prep on this one, just a quick sealant, but I`m happy to say that it looks great now and I now don`t have to worry next time I pull out the M21.

BlueLibby04
09-03-2007, 11:56 AM
Glad you got it figured out! It was her fault for getting the over spray on it in the first place(jk)! :LOLOL