PDA

View Full Version : Pros or Hobbyists?

Pages : [1] 2 3

imported_Indy YZF
09-02-2007, 02:13 PM
In alot of threads, folks talk alot about `customers`, etc. It got me thinking, does anybody have any idea what portion of the contributors and readers of these threads are Pros vs Amateurs? Im just curious. Always nice to know what the population comprises before we address them!

box3876
09-02-2007, 03:01 PM
I`m a hobbyist. What got me going was I had a 4 year old car that was never polished or waxed. Had a pro come over and detail it in and out. Looked brand new when he left and I figured I might as well keep it as good looking as I can so I went crazy with the professional products and am very pleased with the results I am getting with the products on all four of my vehicles. I look at it as therapy as I enjoy doing the vehicles.

I use

Menz FPII

Blackfire sealant

P21S wax

PC 7424

Hi Temp tire cleaner

TOL Grape dressing

TOL Bubble Bath

stiffdogg06
09-02-2007, 03:04 PM
I think the weekend warriors out weigh the pros on here.

But then again who knows! I am currently a professional for you stats.

Junebug
09-02-2007, 03:11 PM
Call me part-time detailer, just trying to put some $ in the kids college fund. But, the thing I like about this forum is we can all learn from each other, afterall, it`s usually the weekend warriors that try the new stuff first.

Paulie Walnuts
09-02-2007, 03:13 PM
Not sure if you really want to call me a pro but I do get paid to detail. I can pretty much do anything but wetsand and thats only because I have never tried it nor had anyone to teach me.

Old Pirate
09-02-2007, 03:15 PM
It`s hard to said, always try to keep my rides perfect and have done details for folks in the past and just did one last Sunday. My first paying job was in the summer of 1969! Did my supers 69 Z28 when he needed it wash and wax (only stuff around in those days was good old turtle wax) and got paid 5.00 bucks. So i would say a Hobbyists.....:usa

Accumulator
09-02-2007, 04:57 PM
I stick to pretty clear-cut definitions, so I`m not a pro because I don`t detail for pay.

Bythehour
09-02-2007, 05:04 PM
Strictly amateur/hobbyist, although I gladly detail friends` and family`s rides for food :)

tC_Crazy
09-02-2007, 05:07 PM
Hobbyist =)

Just trying to keep my baby looking as good as new (better, actually).

SVTsupremecy
09-02-2007, 11:29 PM
Im a beginning hobbyist but i plan on picking up detailing because:

#1 i like having my ride look the best

#2 i can maybe make a little extra $ on the weekends and days off

#3 its a good workout and gets me outside...nothing like looking at a car that just had a good detail done and knowing you did it.

Mobilejay
09-03-2007, 12:03 AM
Well I`m no "pro" but it is what I do for a living.

corvettecrazy
09-03-2007, 12:15 AM
I consider myself an amateur at detailing. Because it is one of my hobbies.

Then again, I fund my hobby by detailing. I dont think it makes me a pro, but I guess that depends how you define pro.

imported_sonyexec
09-03-2007, 01:26 AM
amature here, only take care of my car and 3-5 others for family & close friends. although ever since i`ve taken on this little hobby (5 yrs ago) Im no longer afraid of losing my job (well i would miss the cushy desk and a/c) as I think I would have great 2nd career detailing cars. It never fails, when Im detailing a friend/family car I have at least 2-3 people stop and ask me for a business card to which i respond "oh, are you looking to hire a VP of finance" LOL. But old age is catching up with me, those 3-4 hour detail jobs kill me - it`s a young man`s job (I`m 40).

imported_smprince1
09-03-2007, 06:04 AM
Call me part-time detailer, just trying to put some $ in the kids college fund. But, the thing I like about this forum is we can all learn from each other....

Me too, but I couldn`t have said it better.

DantheMan
09-03-2007, 07:24 AM
hobby for me.

but i make it pay for itself.