PDA

View Full Version : Sonus DAS `Swirlbuster` pad with Poorboys SSR2.5?

imported_Indy YZF
09-02-2007, 02:04 PM
The white paint on my `99 M3 is showroom level shiny, and has been garaged for most of its life. However, over the years Ive occasionally gotten `trapped` on parkways behind load baring trucks that tend to scatter bits of their sand and gravel loads over anything behind it for miles, or Ive found myself on roads all of a sudden being resurfaced in that black asphault that again, features loads of sand and gravel pinging off our car`s surfaces, etc, etc. Drives me NUTS... So, the paint, while shiny and pristine outdoors still displays some of the results of the enounters Ive mentioned. Ive hit it with various polishes and pads over the years, but its getting to the point were I really want to tackle it.

My diagnosis calls for a Poorboys SSR2.5 level of cut followed by a Finesse-IT or a Sonus SFX-3 finishing polish, followed by my LSP. That would be my approach for this. My question concerns what pad to apply the SSR2.5 with. Ive used it before with my orange Sonus DAS `Swirlbuster` pad and it left some moderate micromarring that I was able to tackle with Finesse-It to pretty good effect. Ive also applied the SSR2.5 with Meguiars Yellow #8000 Polish pad. The difference in using that pad vs the Swirlbuster is that the Meguiars pad caused ZEro micromarring to be left. You can tell just by the feel of the foam that its much less aggressive than the Swirlbuster orange foam.

Do you guys feel the Swirlbuster pad, when used with a moderate grit product like the SSR2.5 is a bit too strong, and would you be inclined to attack it with maybe two passes with the less agressive Meguiars Polishing pad or something like it?

94BlkStang
09-02-2007, 02:54 PM
The white paint on my `99 M3 is showroom level shiny, and has been garaged for most of its life. However, over the years Ive occasionally gotten `trapped` on parkways behind load baring trucks that tend to scatter bits of their sand and gravel loads over anything behind it for miles, or Ive found myself on roads all of a sudden being resurfaced in that black asphault that again, features loads of sand and gravel pinging off our car`s surfaces, etc, etc. Drives me NUTS... So, the paint, while shiny and pristine outdoors still displays some of the results of the enounters Ive mentioned. Ive hit it with various polishes and pads over the years, but its getting to the point were I really want to tackle it.

My diagnosis calls for a Poorboys SSR2.5 level of cut followed by a Finesse-IT or a Sonus SFX-3 finishing polish, followed by my LSP. That would be my approach for this. My question concerns what pad to apply the SSR2.5 with. Ive used it before with my orange Sonus DAS `Swirlbuster` pad and it left some moderate micromarring that I was able to tackle with Finesse-It to pretty good effect. Ive also applied the SSR2.5 with Meguiars Yellow #8000 Polish pad. The difference in using that pad vs the Swirlbuster is that the Meguiars pad caused ZEro micromarring to be left. You can tell just by the feel of the foam that its much less aggressive than the Swirlbuster orange foam.

Do you guys feel the Swirlbuster pad, when used with a moderate grit product like the SSR2.5 is a bit too strong, and would you be inclined to attack it with maybe two passes with the less agressive Meguiars Polishing pad or something like it?

To me, a lot would depend on what your original finish is like. If you don`t need the extra cutting ability of the swirl buster pad and the Megs pad removes all or the majority of defects then that`s the way to go. Sometimes a more aggressive pad is necessary to get those last bit of scratches, water spots swirls etc. that you can;t get out with the megs. Always go with the least aggressive combo that accomplishes the performance you`re looking for.