PDA

View Full Version : Do you guys dress your steering wheel ?

Pages : [1] 2

pingable
09-02-2007, 11:21 AM
Ive never have.....just a clean damp cloth on the steering wheel.

After 4.5 years, it`s showing some slight signs of use when I look for it....some areas are slightly less black than usual.

I never really used conditioner on the steering wheel dues to oils, etc .

Just curious what are ya`ll regimen when cleaning/or conditioning the steering wheel.

Brian_Brice
09-02-2007, 11:30 AM
Depends on what the wheel is made out of. If the handle is leather I`ll treat it just like I would the rest of the leather. I`m pretty sure the only thing you want to avoid is dressing it with anything that could make it slick or slippery, so be sure to know complete ins and outs of the dressing you`re using and you will be fine. I have used 303 to treat my pedals as well as steering wheels for years with no slippage issues.

danforz
09-02-2007, 11:34 AM
Depends on a lot of factors. Many conditioners will leave leather slippery, which doesn`t go well when your trying to steer your car. What ever you do, I do recommend at least cleaning it. You`d be amazed how much gunk gets on the wheel from your hands!

Rayc777
09-02-2007, 11:47 AM
Cleaning- Yes

Dressing- No

If your customer has a wreck because of slick dressing on the steering wheel, or foot pedals you can be held liable.

Don`t chance it!

Derrick

Brian_Brice
09-02-2007, 12:26 PM
Derrick, For the record, I dress "my" pedals and wheel.

Accumulator
09-02-2007, 01:00 PM
I don`t want to be touching anything greasy/slimy-feeling, and if you use the right product it takes a lot less dressing to feel slimy than it does to make something so slippery that somebody`d lose hold of it ;)

Plenty of leather treatments leave a fairly "clean"/non-slip surface. I do the leather steering wheels now and then to keep them protected (Audi leather steering wheels can deteriorate fast when they go...) and it`s never a problem; I just buff off any excess product.

Wurth Rubber Care (and some other products) can be used on pedals without making them slippery. Again, just gotta buff off any excess. I don`t usually bother with treating the pedals on our drivers though, I usually just clean `em.

moosey
09-02-2007, 01:23 PM
Never tried it, but you might want to check this out...

einszett Cockpit Premium (http://www.properautocare.com/eicopr.html)

RallyMSP
09-02-2007, 03:30 PM
I just use the lexol leather conditioner and cleaner wipes for the leather part of the steering wheel. Its not greasy or oily. Kind of sticky for a lil while so its actually grippy!

For the rest of the steering wheel I just use Satin Prot.

Been very happy with this combo.

phamkl
09-02-2007, 03:47 PM
What about for fake leather?

Rayc777
09-02-2007, 04:33 PM
Derrick, For the record, I dress "my" pedals and wheel.

"My" is the word. I won`t dress a customer`s steering wheel. Call me chicken that`s okay. I believe Murphy`s law, `If something can go wrong...`

Derrick

Accumulator
09-02-2007, 04:54 PM
What about for fake leather?

IME most vinyls hold up pretty well without any protection, but if something like 303 doesn`t make it too slick you could try that. But I`ve never treated a vinyl/rubber steering wheel that I can recall and I`ve never had any problems with them deteriorating. Some red/burgundy ones have faded into unappealing colors though.

Bythehour
09-02-2007, 05:07 PM
No dressing for me. I`ll usually give the wheel a good wipe with a clean damp cloth.

If the wheel is kept clean (no buildup of oils and dirt), it shouldn`t discolour significantly (no such thing on my 10 year c230)....

azenthusiast
09-02-2007, 05:19 PM
I dont use anything other than a slightly damp rag on the wheel, pedals, or running board steps.

imported_hockeyplaya13
09-02-2007, 06:07 PM
Yes, definitely. My steering wheel started sort of peeling around the top half. I got a plain black wheel cover to go over it. It was never dressed and is about 5 years old, which isn`t that long for it to start peeling.

mikebai1990
09-02-2007, 06:38 PM
303 doesn`t really make the steering wheel as "greasy" or "slippery" as many people say it is. I use it on the steering wheel.