PDA

View Full Version : HD Cleanse Equivelent?

Pages : [1] 2 3

seancca
09-01-2007, 11:41 PM
Hey i thought i would ask you guys since i have been observing and trying to soak up knowledge. What would be a good equivalent to hd cleanse from zymol. I am trying to find something that might be cheaper or better. Any help would be appreciated.

danforz
09-02-2007, 01:08 AM
If I`m not mistaken HD cleanse is just a chemical cleanser. kAIO, zAIO and a few others will do the same thing (for a lot less of the price I`m sure)

imported_FMINUS
09-02-2007, 01:20 AM
Swisswax also has a cleanser that is recommended to be used before their wax. Its $60 for 500ml......

I am wondering if there is an alternative as well. I was thinking maybe DG`s bonding agent would be a cheaper alternative

Bobby G
09-02-2007, 01:38 AM
Up to the point that Turtle Wax purchased 51% of Zymol, Meguiar`s made HD-Cleanse and I thought it was a pretty good hand polish. After that, I didn`t care for the new formula. I`d pick something else.

steelwind101
09-02-2007, 03:15 AM
Hi!!

Not wanting to seem rude HD cleanse isnt like KAIO or ZAIO, both of those products seal the surface of the paintwork making glazes not work so well.

HD cleanse is a mix of paintwork cleaner and glazing oils. There are alot of similar products market here are just a few:

Pinnacle Paintwork CLeansing Lotion

Wolfgang Paintwork Polish Enhancer

Vanilla Moose Wax

P21S Gloss Enhancing Paintwork Cleanser

Swissvax Cleaner Fluid (as mentioned already)

RMG (when applied by machine)

Dodo Juice has one that is in testing.

Plus a few others. Personally i dont use HD Cleanse with my Zymol. There are number of reasons behind it; i have lots of different coloured cars and prefer a glaze that suits my paintwork rather then a jack of all trades.

I very often polish before i fully detail my cars (ie. switch to a new LSP) and my polishes include cleaners therefore im ready to just glaze.

Geoff

CalgaryDetail
09-02-2007, 08:28 AM
Hi!!

Not wanting to seem rude HD cleanse isnt like KAIO or ZAIO, both of those products seal the surface of the paintwork making glazes not work so well.

HD cleanse is a mix of paintwork cleaner and glazing oils. There are alot of similar products market here are just a few:

Vanilla Moose Wax

Plus a few others. Personally i dont use HD Cleanse with my Zymol. There are number of reasons behind it; i have lots of different coloured cars and prefer a glaze that suits my paintwork rather then a jack of all trades.

I very often polish before i fully detail my cars (ie. switch to a new LSP) and my polishes include cleaners therefore im ready to just glaze.

Geoff

i agree :bigups

danforz
09-02-2007, 11:32 AM
Hi!!

Vanilla Moose Wax

Geoff

I stand corrected :idea

seancca
09-02-2007, 11:35 AM
thanks for the responses guys.

superstring
09-02-2007, 11:58 AM
Up to the point that Turtle Wax purchased 51% of Zymol, Meguiar`s made HD-Cleanse and I thought it was a pretty good hand polish. After that, I didn`t care for the new formula. I`d pick something else.

I always wondered why the original HD Cleanse looked and smelt identical to Meg`s #7 Show Car Glaze :think2

BTW I have it on good authority HD Cleanse contains kaolin (clay) as an abrasive, making it more than just a chemical cleaner.

steelwind101
09-02-2007, 12:29 PM
BTW I have it on good authority HD Cleanse contains kaolin (clay) as an abrasive, making it more than just a chemical cleaner.

So does PPCL and WPPE :2thumbs: I think the clay helps the cleaning rather then remove swirls etc.

We are spoilt in the Prewax cleanser area!!

Geoff

Accumulator
09-02-2007, 01:13 PM

Pinnacle Paintwork CLeansing Lotion...

Yeah, that PCL would be my choice for an HD Substitute. Irene at TOL and I discussed those two products in some detail years ago and IIRC the primary difference (at least at that time) was the clay vs. talc...nothing likely to show up as a *functional* difference.

Gotta be careful drawing inferences from a product`s list of ingredients ;) While stuff like the Kaolin can scream "ABRASIVE!", by the time it`s processed into the product, in a given amount, it can end up being *functionally nonabrasive* on most automotive paints. A lot of products that contain "abrasives" are functionally nonabrasive.

E.g., Meg`s "pure polishes" (IIRC) contain Kaolin, but they are functionally nonabrasive even on soft black lacquers (first-hand experience). Mike Phillips got sorta, uhm... displeased.. when somebody did the "Kaolin = abrasive" with regards to Meguiar`s products.

Up to the point that Turtle Wax purchased 51% of Zymol, Meguiar`s made HD-Cleanse and I thought it was a pretty good hand polish...

Hey, I learn something every day! Thanks for posting that, I never knew.

superstring
09-02-2007, 05:29 PM
Yeah, that PCL would be my choice for an HD Substitute. Irene at TOL and I discussed those two products in some detail years ago and IIRC the primary difference (at least at that time) was the clay vs. talc...nothing likely to show up as a *functional* difference.

Gotta be careful drawing inferences from a product`s list of ingredients ;) While stuff like the Kaolin can scream "ABRASIVE!", by the time it`s processed into the product, in a given amount, it can end up being *functionally nonabrasive* on most automotive paints. A lot of products that contain "abrasives" are functionally nonabrasive.

E.g., Meg`s "pure polishes" (IIRC) contain Kaolin, but they are functionally nonabrasive even on soft black lacquers (first-hand experience). Mike Phillips got sorta, uhm... displeased.. when somebody did the "Kaolin = abrasive" with regards to Meguiar`s products.

Hey, I learn something every day! Thanks for posting that, I never knew.

Accumulator, I hear what you`re saying about the kaolin perhaps being "functionally non-abrasive". My information came from the main (and perhaps, at the time, only) Zymol distributor in Canada and he stated the kaolin was included as an abrasive. Perhaps he was wrong ;) Interesting that you bring up the subject of Meg`s "pure polishes" again. As I said previously, the original HD Cleanse looked, felt and smelled like Show Car Glaze #7......nah, it couldn`t be... :grinno:

steelwind101
09-02-2007, 05:35 PM
Super Resin Polish has a chalky abrasive which really helps with extra cleaning. Your cloth moves through the chemical cleaner on the paintwork with the mini micro abrasives improving this action.

I assume Kaolin works in the same way but is a little more upmarket and prehapes nicer or effective!?

I thought it was a cleaning enhancer as opposed to defect reducer.

Geoff

Accumulator
09-02-2007, 05:41 PM
Superstring- Perhaps the Kaolin in the HD Cleanse has more mechanical affect than it does in some other products :nixweiss Not like I`d imply that a Zymol rep didn`t give you the straight scoop (although other manufacturer`s reps have been *completely* off-base IME).

I have the idea (I *think* I`m remembering correctly, but not sure..) that the clay might be a sort of "filler"/concealing agent as well as something that helps the product be more user-friendly with regard to wipe-off. Can`t say for sure though..

Also, I suppose it`s a fine line between functionally nonabrasive and *just barely* functionally abrasive. I`ve always gone by behavior on (known to be very soft) ss black lacquer but that`s hardly some perfect standard. Wonder what some "nonabrasive" products would to to that new stupid-soft BMW clear?!?

That *is* interesting about the similarity to #7, especially after what DavidB posted :think: Similarly, I have an old (early `90s?) bottle of "Griot`s Concours Wax" that I find *absolutely* indistinguishable from #7. Oh, and FWIW that stuff is functionally nonabrasive on even the softest black lacquer too.

hXc drummer23
09-02-2007, 05:54 PM
Mothers has something that is called pre-wax cleaner. It is relatively cheap. I think it is like 5 bucks for a bottle of it.