PDA

View Full Version : Armor All contains alcohol? Do any others?

Pages : [1] 2

imported_RedlineIRL
08-31-2007, 10:53 PM
I`ve heard that Armol All contains alcohol in it, that`s why it is not recommended to be used by manufacturers. Is this true? Not that I use it anyways, I`ve never been a fan of it. If Armol All contains it, then how many other dash and leather cleaners out there contain alcohol in their contents?

I`m currently using the Meguiars NXT generation dash/vinyl and Meguiars Gold Class Leather Cleaner & Conditioner, does anyone know if Meguiars use and kind of alcohols in their products?

Setec Astronomy
09-01-2007, 06:34 AM
And alcohol is bad why?

Bunky
09-01-2007, 08:43 AM
I`ve heard that Armol All contains alcohol in it, that`s why it is not recommended to be used by manufacturers. Is this true? Not that I use it anyways, I`ve never been a fan of it. If Armol All contains it, then how many other dash and leather cleaners out there contain alcohol in their contents?

I`m currently using the Meguiars NXT generation dash/vinyl and Meguiars Gold Class Leather Cleaner & Conditioner, does anyone know if Meguiars use and kind of alcohols in their products?

By coincidence, I was looking at Meg`s Quick Interior Detailer MSDS sheet yesterday and it appears to contain isopropyl alcohol (1 to 3% of weight) and a ph of 8.5 although I am not an expert at reading these. If you really want to be sure for yourself, you can find these at Meg`s web site or at some distributor`s web site to confirm.

Who is telling you it is bad. They are obviously trying to sell you something else...

jfelbab
09-01-2007, 08:59 AM
If alcohol was bad I wouldn`t be drinking it. :)

Meg`s QID is one of my favorite products.

You should be able to pull the MSDS sheets on any of Meg`s products and see if they contain any alcohol but I`d suggest to you that if Meg`s puts alcohol in a product it won`t harm your car, at least not in the dilution in the product. Meguiar`s has pretty good chemists and if they put something in a product you can bet it is there for a purpose and that purpose is a benefit to the product. I`ve used Meg`s products for over 45 years and their products have never damaged a car I`ve used it on.

I think Armor All got it`s bad rap years ago when it was loaded with oily silicones.

mikebai1990
09-01-2007, 11:10 AM
I have no idea what`s wrong with having alcohol in products... It`s no worse than silicones or carnaubas.

coupe
09-01-2007, 12:22 PM
The things people worry about.....

Brian_Brice
09-01-2007, 12:24 PM
You`d worry to if you did ten interior details for a dealership using aa, and on the way home you got a dui.:chuckle:

imported_grease
09-01-2007, 01:13 PM
it`s my understanding that most of the qd`s have at least a little bit of alcohol in them...thats a good cheap way to increase cleaning ability, and helps it dry faster as well

BigAl3
09-01-2007, 01:16 PM

armor all has been around for who knows how long and if it was that bad, i`m sure many wouldn`t be using it including myself. i like AA... it`s inexpensive, works well, and is easy to find...

http://armorall.com/img/products/wheel_tire/r_arm_tf20oz_0706.jpg + http://armorall.com/img/products/wheel_tire/r_arm_etsgelcrtn_0706.jpg = :up

imported_RedlineIRL
09-01-2007, 01:36 PM
And alcohol is bad why?

Wouldn`t a product that had a high level of alcohol be bad for the plastics and vinyl over time and dry them out?

Setec Astronomy
09-01-2007, 02:04 PM
I`ve got a pretty good nose for solvents and I think if AA or any similar product had *a lot* of alcohol in them, I would have noticed the odor. Why do you presume it has "a lot", and/or that "a lot" would be bad for plastics and vinyl? You haven`t even specified what kind of alcohol is supposedly in AA, is it methanol, isopropanol, ethanol? Do any of those alcohols leach plasticizer from vinyl? A wipedown is also pretty incidental exposure, a little different than constant exposure or immersion.

sxt2012
09-02-2007, 07:08 AM
armor all was sued yrs ago and lost .it was for damage to dashboards&vinyl roofs.

Setec Astronomy
09-02-2007, 08:52 AM
armor all was sued yrs ago and lost .it was for damage to dashboards&vinyl roofs.

Yes, because at one time it had "bad" silicones in it that were swelling/softening vinyl. It was subsequently reformulated to a PDMS (which IIRC was the original formulation).

Rob22315
09-02-2007, 08:14 PM
The only thing bad I`ve heard about alcohol is that isopropyl will dissolve rubber over time. At one time, Pat Goss recommended using the really cheap isopropyl dewatering agents for gas (isoheat) and said that infrequent use would minimize problems from the isopropyl dissolving the rubber in fuel lines. He did a little demo that showed isopropyl will cause the water to mix with the gas and get consumed/passed as the car runs. Methyl alcohol based dewatering agents allowed the water to be safely passed through the engine but wouldn`t allow the water to mix with the gas and left the water/alcohol mix in the bottom of the tank.

Of late, he seems to be only recommending the expensive stuff. I don`t know if this is because corporate America got to him or because the more expensive car care items are better engineered.

RG

Setec Astronomy
09-02-2007, 10:05 PM
The only thing bad I`ve heard about alcohol is that isopropyl will dissolve rubber over time. At one time, Pat Goss recommended using the really cheap isopropyl dewatering agents for gas (isoheat) and said that infrequent use would minimize problems from the isopropyl dissolving the rubber in fuel lines. He did a little demo that showed isopropyl will cause the water to mix with the gas and get consumed/passed as the car runs. Methyl alcohol based dewatering agents allowed the water to be safely passed through the engine but wouldn`t allow the water to mix with the gas and left the water/alcohol mix in the bottom of the tank.

Of late, he seems to be only recommending the expensive stuff. I don`t know if this is because corporate America got to him or because the more expensive car care items are better engineered.

Huh? :nixweiss