PDA

View Full Version : Rule of thumb???

max080
06-17-2005, 05:57 AM
Just wondering if the the general concensus for scratch removal with a pc is as follows "if you can`t catch your fingernail on it, it shoud come out" That was the impression I was under, but my girlfriends trunk has some pretty bad scratches in it, it looks like the previous owner set a tool bag on it more than once. This was my first attempt attempt with the pc, so I wasn`t expecting miracles, but I did expect more of the scratches to come out. I went all the way up to ssr2.5 with a yellow edge pad (medium cut) Maybe I just need to work it more, or maybe they are just too bad to attempt with a pc. I tell you what though, the shine that was achieved is amazing. I always thought her car was pretty wet looking when washed and waxed, but boy was I wrong. Now I can finally see what everyone is talking about when they say the paint was super wet looking. I`ll post some pics of the scratches later when I get home, I know it`s hard to picture the damage without seeing it.

Poorboy
06-17-2005, 06:23 AM
On a clearcoat there really is no rule of thumb like there was on single stage paint... "scratches may be deeper than they appear" you would need a magnifying glass or Boss`s famous Loop to really see how far down a scratch went into a clear. Of course if you see primer or metal it`s not coming out, but some very fine scratches can get very deep in a clear and it will ruin the integrity of the clear if you try to go that deep. You can always try to wet sand it or use a rotary , but again there are no guarantees that it just might be too deep to remove.

max080
06-17-2005, 06:37 AM
Thanks for the quick response Steve, and thanks for getting that order out so quick yesterday, I checked FedEx and the estimated delivery date is TODAY :dancin I honestly think the scratches are too deep to remove by pc, I told my girlfriend about wetsanding her trunk and she said "Are you crazy, you`re not putting sandpaper on my car." Oh well, guess I`ll have to find another test subject for that one. Although I must say that the swirl marks didn`t stand a chance, I stood back and looked in amazement. You folks are really on to something :bigups