PDA

View Full Version : rotary issues

AspenF150
06-17-2005, 01:49 AM
I have a Makita 9227c rotary. I`ve used more than a dozen times and while I love it, I hate it at the same time. I love it for it`s shine capabilities, but man, applying product with it is a royal pain in the ass. I sometimes ask myself if I`m winging more product across the garage and my truck more than I am actual polishing. I use the apply a line bead of product onto the paint and then pick it up with the rotary at a alight angle, then lay the pad down flat and begin buffing.

You know something, I would be very willing for someone to train me how to use one. I am willing to travel and pay good money for it. Winging product, not being able to spread it, polish gumming on me, I`ve had enough of it and I am getting quite sick of it. I thank everyone bigtime who helps me on this thread. This rotary thing is very frustrating and pissing me off bad. It`s a love/hate relationship ya know. Thanks,,,,98

maximv1
06-17-2005, 05:02 AM
try applying a little less product. it may take a bit longer to polish but you should have less sling, meaning less mess and waste. i haven`t relly found a way to totally avoid slinging. some people drag the pad across the product to spread it, thus leaving less bulk to sling. try either method would be my suggestion. good luck and don`t give up on that makita. i love mine.

Way2SSlow
06-17-2005, 06:18 AM
maybe you should spread it out on the paint a little more. I like to spread it out over the area that I am polishing then use the slowest setting to minimize sling while still kind of spreading. After it is spread out a little, then I speed up to the necessary setting and polish away. I dont really ever have any problem with sling anymore. If you just barely spread it and go at it with some speed then it will want to sling all over the place.

mgm2003
06-17-2005, 07:45 AM
I like using LC 7" pads (concaved). They seem to `cup` the product better and reduce sling.

-I agree with a few others. It sound like your using too much product. You really don`t need much polish, a little goes a long way. If your not breaking down your polish in a few passes, then reduce the amount.

-I draw an X on the pad and spread it around with machine `off`.

-Then I use the speed control trigger to feather it in a bit and slowly build up my speed to the desired rate.

-You might want to give Optimum polish a try. It works very well, and it`s VERY forgiving with sling.
-Keep your pad flat to the surface. Your hood, roof, trunk should be pretty easy. The side panels will take a little practice.

klnyc
06-17-2005, 08:08 AM
Start out at 900 rpm, spread it 1st. Then kick in to 1000-1500 or what ever rpm you want. I used to splatter all over place. This because I was starting at 3(1500 rpm on Mikata). So if you start at lower rpm(900-1000) then you increase the rpm after is spread out evenly, you shouldn`t have any problem. Good luck.

mgm2003
06-17-2005, 09:20 AM
One more thing to add. Until you have established some seat time with the rotary I would stay away from compounds, or any type of a cutting pad. Use a light polishing or finishing pad (foam) when starting out. Dwayne carries the LC pads, and they really do a nice job, and can be used on your PC as well (if you have one).

The polishes that I`ve found most user friendly on the rotary are:
-Menzernal FPII
-Optimum
-Menzerna PO85RD

Mikeyzr
06-17-2005, 01:37 PM
I think it`s almost impossible to avoid some sling. I agree with the others, use a touch less product. I also pick up the product in a right to left motion. On my DeWalt this will pick up the bead and spread it around the pad. I will also spread the product with the pad and machine off in my 2X2 area. I almost have no fling at this point.

Hang in there! Wear clothes you don`t like and dress any black trim. It will make cleanup a breeze. You`ll get the hang of it.

Mike

SVR
06-18-2005, 05:23 PM
I think it`s almost impossible to avoid some sling. I agree with the others, use a touch less product. I also pick up the product in a right to left motion. On my DeWalt this will pick up the bead and spread it around the pad. I will also spread the product with the pad and machine off in my 2X2 area. I almost have no fling at this point.

Hang in there! Wear clothes you don`t like and dress any black trim. It will make cleanup a breeze. You`ll get the hang of it.

Mike

Start at 400-600 rpm , apply the 6 inch line of product (not too thick), spray a polishing foam pad a couple times with a mist of water, raise the left side of the buff a fair amount and from right to left, quickly go over the line and then flatten the buff and work it with a little pressure (menz IP, PG, FPII need a little bit) for a few moments, then raise speed to 900/1000 and use no pressure and keep working it until desired results achieved
To get bad scratches out you may need to apply more pressure for a few seconds.

If product doesn`t do the job, move to a cutting pad (edge yellow for instance) and try again
I`m no master with a buff, my teacher is though and I now feel comfortable using it on really nice cars.

AspenF150
06-18-2005, 11:23 PM
Thanks guys for the replies. I`ve tried spreading the product around with the machine off but somehow it just doesn`t seem right to me. Also, the more I read, the more I see people using the bead line/pick up product technique. Do you guys mask off windows, headlights etc...? I don`t because all I have is a green tarp and it`s used as a drop cloth for oil changes etc... Masking off is not one of my stronger points either. The only thing I have for polish #82 SFP. I did have DACP, but since I liked that alot just because how well a shine it gave, I used it alot on just about anything. The only beef I had about it was I felt it "gummed" up on me way too quickly. I might have to give Menzerna a shot. I would rather not try Optimum at this point since I am unfamilar with there reputation at this point. I`ll give my rotary a shot tommorow and see how things go. I don`t want too give it up because I`ve witnessed what it can do and I love it. Thanks again,,,,,98

scottabi
06-19-2005, 02:39 AM
I don`t want too give it up because I`ve witnessed what it can do and I love it. Thanks again,,,,,98

Practice makes perfect :xyxthumbs

Menzerna really works great on the rotary and is very user friendly. Give IP a shot with a polishing pad and then FPII with a finishing pad (a lot more forgiving when learning the rotary). I think you will be happy. As for the bead method. That works for me and it took like 2 times doing it to get it down correctly so it doesnt sling everywhere.

I do tape off things usually headlights and such only get a strip of 2 inch tape around the perimeter of them I dont completely cover them.
Body panel edges and such I dont tape off but trim I do. Wiper blades get a wrap of tinfoil around them so I dont have to get polish specs out of every nook and cranny of them (they have a lot!). Glass I dont cover I just clean them last after the polish has dried it comes right off when cleaning them with normal glass cleaner.

SVR
06-19-2005, 03:36 AM
Only exterior trim gets masked. I put the windscreen wipers up to stop any product from possibly getting in there

klnyc
06-21-2005, 07:31 AM
I use my WW 20x40 to cover up the windshield. I soak the WW before I cover the windshield(so it wont fly away) :D

Bell
06-21-2005, 08:58 AM
I do training.

Also, instead of laying a line down just aply a nickel sized drop to the area being buffed. Don`t spread it around as this starts to dry the product out too soon.

There are about as many myths in rotary useage as there are in waxing.