PDA

View Full Version : First time - with space problems... is this going to be safe?

SeattleSC430
08-30-2007, 12:16 PM
I just bought a used `04 Lexus SC430 - it`s low-mileage and in beautiful condition throughout, except for the dark metalic green paint, which (because it wasn`t garaged) has some minor imperfections. The overwhelming majority will be easily resolved (surface scratches that don`t penetrate the clear coat, minor water drop etching and swirl marks, etc.) A few minor nicks aside, a good polish and wax should make it beautiful again. In addition to polishing up the new (to me) car, I also need to clean up my old car to prep it for sale.

This is my first foray into serious car deatailing-- I`ve always washed and waxed my cars, and taken them to a detailing shop once a year for a serious once-over. However, because I`ll be cleaning up two cars at once, I figured I`d take this oportunity to get everything I need and do the work myself and maybe pick up a new hobby.

My biggest challenge: I don`t have a place to do a quality 2-bucket wash-- I have a garage where I can do the waxing and polishing, but the wash will have to occur at the local spray-and-wash place. I plan on doing a quality 2-bucket wash at the local spray and wash (hopefully I won`t get kicked out as long as I keep feeding quarters into the system!) Once completed, I will drive it 1/2 mile to my home (back roads, low speed) and do the clay, polish and wax steps in my garage. In order to ensure that any debris and/or grime that is picked up on the way home doesn`t cause problems, I plan on doing a THUROUGH quick-detail using a microfiber cloth and some Meguires Quick Detail spray.

Step 1: 2-bucket wash, using Meguires Gold Class car wash/shampoo with a quality wool mitt, drying with some sonus microfiber drying towels. Again, this will take place at the local spray and wash carwash. :(

Step 2: after driving from the carwash to my garage and waiting for the car to cool, I`ll do a thorough quick detail with a micro fiber cloth and some QD spray

Step 3: Clay bar

Step 4: Meguire`s DC Paint Cleaner

Step 5: Meguire`s DC Polish with PC orbital :buffing:

Step 6: Meguire`s Gold Class liquid wax with PC orbital

Step 7: Wait 12 hours, repeat step 6

My question is this: I`m concerned about the drive between step 1 and step 2. Do you think that the QD will be sufficient to reduce risk of debris if I`m extremely careful and the garage is well-lit? I can`t do the polishing at the local car wash, and I don`t have access to a hose at the house. (I live in a townhouse. Nice garage, no outdoor plumbing.)

I`m nervous about it. :nervous2: I`m confident that I won`t cause any problems at the polish step (I`ve done auto body work in the past, including spraying and color sanding) but that means I`m aware enough to know that any little piece of debris and all bets are off.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance...

imported_etml12
08-30-2007, 12:27 PM
How about an ONR wipe down for step 2. It will give you a little extra insurance against marring over the use of a QD. Then use ONR again at clay lube strength for step 3. After that proceed as planned. In addition, you now have ONR for weekly maintenance in your garage.

ZoranC
08-30-2007, 02:01 PM
What is stopping you from washing car on the curb side next to your townhouse?

coupe
08-30-2007, 02:05 PM
How do you not have space to wash?

SeattleSC430
08-30-2007, 02:48 PM
What is stopping you from washing car on the curb side next to your townhouse?

No hose hookups, and community covenants (rules) explicitly disallow car washing.

mikebai1990
08-30-2007, 03:46 PM
SeattleSC430, do they allow ONR washes? Is it an issue of water consumption or community "atmosphere"?

edit: Since you`re new, it`s possible that you don`t know what ONR is, so I`ll just write it in case. It stands for Optimum No Rinse, which is a rinseless wash. Basically you mix the ONR into a 2 gallon bucket of water. You use a mitt as you would usually with a conventional wash. You wipe the area that you need to clean gently. The ONR solution encapsulates dirt particles and keeps it away from the paint. Most dirt particles go into your wash mitt. Finally, you simply dry with 2 MF towels. No rinsing needed. Once you`re experienced with using ONR, you will cause no more marring than you would with a conventional wash.

Also, I`d probably switch out the Gold Class wax. There are other over-the-counter alternatives that will perform better in terms of looks and durability.

Oh, and welcome to Autopia!

SeattleSC430
08-30-2007, 04:37 PM
SeattleSC430, do they allow ONR washes? Is it an issue of water consumption or community "atmosphere"?

I was a good boy and did a search when you mentioned ONR... since I was pretty sure you didn`t mean the "Office of Naval Research (http://www.onr.navy.mil/)" the clarification wasn`t required. :) I don`t think they`d care about an ONR wash-- and more importantly, I can do it in my garage and nobody would need to know about it anyway. :har:

I`m pretty sure the rule is a "Mr. Fancy-Pants gated community atmosphere" thing. It`s lame, but relatively minor.

Thanks again, everyone.

mikebai1990
08-30-2007, 04:57 PM
LOL, Office of Naval Research?! Props to you for searching it up though, we all appreciate new members who do their own research if the info is available on this forum.

Glad that you`ll be able to use ONR for your washes. It`ll help a lot, especially in your situation. Not to mention the time-savings, low water consumption, and environmental advantage!

SeattleSC430
09-02-2007, 07:30 PM
Quick update...

I did the 2-bucket wash at the local spray place, dried, and drove home, then did a quick ONR to remove any road debris I picked up before doing the clay bar. Other than that, everything was as described above.

I`m very pleased with the results-- it looks fantastic. The swirl marks are gone, and the paint looks like it`s a foot deep. (Lexus really does a nice job on the paint for their high-end vehicles-- this is a beautiful paint job.) There are a couple of trouble areas that I needed a coarser polish to fully remove, but they are greatly diminished... I`ll use stronger stuff the next time around (in 6 months or so) but for now I`m thrilled.

I`m uploading some pictures, including some before pics that show the swirl marks, but for now, here`s the ubiquitous hood reflection shot. :)

She cleans up real purty. Thanks again to everyone for their help! :thx

BlackElantraGT
09-02-2007, 07:54 PM
The car`s paint looks like it`s still in pretty good shape. Nice work!

What did you think of ONR? I still prefer the traditional 2 bucket wash, but ONR has come in really handy when I`m short of time. I always find that the car looks better after an ONR wash than using regular soap. I just happen to prefer using water pressure to get in nooks and crannies that ONR can`t reach, otherwise I`d use it more often. Plus, I currently have no water restrictions nor cold weather to deal with.

SeattleSC430
09-03-2007, 08:09 PM
The car`s paint looks like it`s still in pretty good shape. Nice work!

Thanks! There were a lot of issues before I did the detailing job-- these pictures barely show it, but you can see some serious swirl marks in the rear C-pillar and on the hood in the "before" pictures below.

What did you think of ONR? I still prefer the traditional 2 bucket wash, but ONR has come in really handy when I`m short of time. I always find that the car looks better after an ONR wash than using regular soap. I just happen to prefer using water pressure to get in nooks and crannies that ONR can`t reach, otherwise I`d use it more often. Plus, I currently have no water restrictions nor cold weather to deal with.

Maybe I`m just being too traditional, but I still prefer a 2-bucket wash. However, it was a great way for me to play it safe-- I`m glad it was recommended.

paul34
09-03-2007, 08:31 PM
Definitely a candidate for ONR! Trust me, I finally ponied up and tried it a few weeks ago... and am hooked now. I`ve used it for the third time today, and quite frankly, will probably never wash traditionally again unless its absolutely needed.

Some things, like claying, CLRing, and sealing the glass kind of needs a hose and leafblower for best results, but otherwise, ONR all the way for sure. Even though I am lucky and have constant access to a driveway, garage, hose, and buckets, I still prefer ONR. Not only is it impossible to get a good wash here (hard water + extremely hot Florida sun not only makes for some crazy spotting, but also can lead to heat exhaustion and other health problems easily).

I can do ONR in the privacy of my own garage. Also, no need for a LSP-comprimising and time consuming vinegar wipedown afterwards like was always necessary with any traditional wash.

I doubt I`ll try a traditional wash until it gets cool in the fall.

gfspencer
09-04-2007, 07:10 AM
No hose hookups, and community covenants (rules) explicitly disallow car washing.

:rules: I would have to move.

paul34
09-04-2007, 09:56 AM
:rules: I would have to move.

Absolutely. I wonder if there`s a clause about what channels you are allowed to watch, whether you are allowed to shower, and what religion you must believe in as well as which presidential candidate you must vote for! :laugh:

SeattleSC430
09-05-2007, 02:59 PM
I wonder if there`s a clause about what channels you are allowed to watch, whether you are allowed to shower, and what religion you must believe in as well as which presidential candidate you must vote for! :laugh:

You`re right, because those are exactly the same kinds of thing as preventing car washing. Oh wait, not they aren`t-- it`s completely different. :usa

(Edit: Note that given the configuration of the townhouse, to wash the car I would have to do so on land I do not own. Regulating the use of community property is reasonable, in my opinion.)