PDA

View Full Version : BIG Wash Brush

gfspencer
08-30-2007, 08:02 AM
When I was in Germany I bought a BIG, horse hair (?) wash brush. It is over a foot long and about three inches wide. But it`s getting old and the hair is starting to fall out. (Like me!) I thought I had found something similar from Griot`s Garage but it is much smaller. Does anyone know where to find a BIG brush?

Eliot Ness
08-30-2007, 10:19 AM
A couple of other places also sell boar hair brushes (BHB), which is what I think you`re looking for. I got mine for Christmas from TOL:

Boar Hair Shampoo Brush (http://www.topoftheline.com/boarhairbodw.html)

Mine measures about 12" long, 2.5" wide at the handle, and 4" wide at the bristles. It doesn`t look exactly like that picture; the handle is nicely finished and the bristles are darker. It seems to be a very high quality brush and I`ve been very pleased with it. Autogeek (http://www.autogeek.net/boar-s-hair.html) also sells some BHB`s you might want to take a look at.

Our resident BHB expert, Accumulator, I`m sure will chime in later since he seems to have more experience will different BHB`s than anyone else.

Accumulator
08-30-2007, 11:41 AM
IMO bigger isn`t always better, and longer bristles aren`t always better either.

I`d go with the one from Griot`s or the one Eliot Ness has.

The ones from AutoGeek are a little bigger (well, at least one of their models is) and have longer bristles, but those longer bristles, *if used in the proper, gentle manner* can actually be too gentle; they deflect a bit too readily for my taste. If I apply the "proper" (that`s proper IMO, hence the scare-quotes) amount of pressure, which is *not* enough to bend the bristles, the AutoGeek BHBs won`t do much cleaning. Fine for nearly-spotless garage queens, but not so good for dirty drivers.

Inspect any new BHB (especially for adhesive contamination on the bristles) and CD-test it (properly/wet). And use BHBs in conjunction with a foamgun ;)

gfspencer
08-30-2007, 12:06 PM
Thanks to both of you. (And thanks for pointing me to some new - to me - sites.) I have the Griot`s brush and it is a little small. I think the one from TOL is the one I am looking for.

Accumulator
08-30-2007, 12:30 PM
..I have the Griot`s brush and it is a little small. I think the one from TOL is the one I am looking for.

I wonder how different the two BHBs really are :think:

If you get the one from TOL, I`d appreciate a comparison between it and the Griot`s one.

Oh, and (a belated :o ) Welcome to Autopia!