PDA

View Full Version : Euro Clear Coat hard/soft discussion

GregCavi
06-16-2005, 08:42 PM
Hello Everyone.

I was consulted today about a BMW M3 I will be detailing. The question ran through my mind , arent BMW CC`s really hard. I read an article and have came up with BMW clearcoats are actually softer than american CC`s. Does everyone agree with this? I have worked on a jaguar and it was a dream to work with. It was very easy. FWIW the article I read is
http://www.properautocare.com/aregepadi.html .

Thanks

Greg

GregCavi
07-26-2005, 09:48 PM
BUMP! Doesnt anyone want to throw in their idea?

Greg

ape drape
07-27-2005, 09:48 AM
I have found that BMW factory paint, both CC and single stage, is quite easy to polish. It`s relatively easy for me to get most of the scratches out and end up with a swirl free finish.

The problem is with repaints. Some painters believe they are actually chemists and know better than the actual chemists at the paint manufacturer. Improper mixing can result in, basically, an unbuffable finish.

To be honest, I`ve found that MOST German made cars have very workable paint on them. It shouldn`t be too difficult for you to polish that Beamer.

Woob
07-27-2005, 11:42 AM
Greg I`ve found on older cars the paints are harder to polish, however the newer paints are alot more fun. On the Bimma I`ve found the paint is hard as heck, but the clearcoat is very soft! Either way, be prepared to do your best. German paint yields beautiful work if you do it correctly!

Beemerboy
07-27-2005, 12:08 PM
My black bimmer was easy to get the swrils out of. I had read that German CC are softer so they will scratch easier than US CC......From my experence with German cars I have found this to be true......Don`t know if that`s a draw back or good thing....that`s my .02

P.S.
That`s an interesting article about German CC thanks!

G35stilez
07-27-2005, 12:14 PM
From the Bimmer`s I`ve done, they are all relatively hard.

Bill D
07-27-2005, 12:42 PM
Audi clear is hard, therefore taking a little more time and perhaps an extra polishing step or so to truly get it just right. It does "clean up" rather nicely given the high quality Spies Hecker paint.

pappy
07-30-2005, 12:58 PM
there was a post either here or at autopia about why clear coats differ from US to euro. and i believe it had somthing do do with the autobahn. i might be wrong but i think euro is softer clear then the US but of course it would differ between manufactures.

Conundrum
06-08-2006, 03:00 PM
Sorry to bring back an old post but does anyone here know what company Honda of America uses? Is it PPG, Dupont, or BASF? I have a 2006 Accord and it seems to have issues with a softer clearcoat than my older sunfire did (I`ve already scratched the paint by leaning against the car once for a few seconds while drying the roof).

Shaun Carollo
06-08-2006, 06:41 PM
I vote for hard. My mom`s blue 325 ci had moderate buffer swirls after being hit with PG on a wool pad via rotary. Followed up with OP on a polishing pad, that seemed to clear everything up. As for Honda, I don`t know who manufactures their paints, but they are the biggest pain to keep swirl free.

-Shaun

Brenton
06-08-2006, 06:51 PM
I`ve found VW & Audi clear a little tougher to work with, but not BMW or Mercedes. I haven`t done anything with French, British (except mini) or Italian cars, and not so much experience with Volvo.