PDA

View Full Version : Sracthes remains after SFX-1

Wax_on_Wax_Off
08-27-2007, 11:13 PM
Hi All,

First of all, I am a car enthusiast that like to have my car clean and shiny (don`t we all :) )

I am newbie when it comes to machine polishing. I used to polish and wax by hand before I found autopia.org forum. And boy did I missing out.

But I`ve been doing a little of reading now and then, in which got me started getting into this DA polishing machine.

So last year I purchased the Portert Cable 7424 with DAS kit. So I have Sonus SFX1, SFX2, and SFX3 and DAS polishing pad (Orange, Green & Blue).

And I also purchased the DAS Swirlbuster pad.

Yesterday I just washed, clayed (Sonus grey clay), and then I use SFX1-DAS Swirlbuster pad combo using Porter cable 7424 at setting#5. I polished the area out until it clears out, then wipe it out using MF.

Then I sealed with Klasse AIO applied by hand and MF (Zymol MF).

At the time I didn`t check my work using any lighting, as it feels so smooth, and I am happy with the "wet look" effect it has on my car.

However under certain sunlight and light I can still see some sratches.

1.) What do I need to do with SFX1, or is it sufficient to remove these sratches. Or do I need to try Merzerna Intensive Polish.

2. ) to the expert outthere what is the different between Menzerna Intensive Polish and Menzerna Intensive Polish II.

3.) if you have to rate the following from the most aggresive to the least aggresive what is the order: Menzerna PO106FF, Menzerna PowerGloss, Menzerna Intensive Polish, Menzerna Intensive Polish II.

My car is 2002, and it always garaged.

I attached some of the pic so that you can see, the "wet look" I achieved and also some sctraches that is visible under bright light (sunlight / light)

I look forward for advise.

TIA.

J

SVR
08-28-2007, 01:32 AM
SFX 1 will get out most of the scratches and usually the next two or three products I use inc Menz will get the rest out plus all the swirls.

Wax_on_Wax_Off
08-28-2007, 11:45 PM
SFX 1 will get out most of the scratches and usually the next two or three products I use inc Menz will get the rest out plus all the swirls.

Thanks for the reply SVR,

Which Menzerna would you suggest ?

Regardz,

clnfrk
08-29-2007, 12:59 AM
First off, nice M5!

It could be that the Sonus products or pads that you are using aren`t strong enough to remove the scratches that still remain. In my own personal experience, Sonus SFX 1 is not much of an aggressive polish at all. It could also be technique or a combination of both. Are you moving slowly (~3 inches per second) and applying pressure to the head of the PC? This is essential to obtaining optimum results. And, if you haven`t tried them already, I would suggest that you purchase an assortment of 4" pads as they are more effective when it comes to paint correction using a PC.

As for the aggressiveness scale of the products you mentioned, It would be Power Gloss as most aggressive followed by IP and 106ff with the 106ff being a finishing polish. Not really sure about the IP II as I have never used it before, but I`m guessing it can`t be much different the the regular IP.

MrAP
08-29-2007, 08:36 AM
Is it possible that following up with SFX-2 or SFX-3 after using SFX-1 would help? (Based on using a lighter polish to remove some of the finer scratches left by a heavier polish)>

AP

Wax_on_Wax_Off
08-29-2007, 10:34 AM
clnfrk -- thanks.

I`ll try to follow your suggestion next time, to do it with slower motion.

And if that doesnt work I may try Menzerna. Should try with PowerGloss

right away or should I try with Intensive Polish first and see how much sracth is lifted.

MrAp -- if SFX1 is more aggressive shouldn`t it be the one that should be able to take out the scratches, I didn`t try SFX2 or SFX3 yet. I will do that next time and test if it

make noticeable differences.

Regardz,

imported_Indy YZF
08-29-2007, 10:35 AM
What I see in the first of the indoor shots looks alot worse than in the latter two. But if all the indoor shots represent the `After`, I would either repeat the use of the SFX-1, or, drop down to the SFX-2 and have a try . Sometimes, the product works down before its had a chance to fully remove all the damage.. A repeat application will be like a second pass with sand paper on wood .. Sometimes, it takes a couple to do the trick. Or, as I said, maybe the milder SFX-2 will take care of what remains.

>>if SFX1 is more aggressive shouldn`t it be the one that should be able to take out the scratches<<

Yes, but as I said, sometimes the product breaks down, based on motion, speed, amount used, etc, before its been able to thorougly remove the defect.. In those cases, a second application can do the job.. Or, dropping down in strength, you may have enough cut from the SFX-2, before its broken down, to do the job.

SVR
08-29-2007, 08:00 PM
SFX 1 is a 1200 grit compound and you can really feel the grit in it when you put some on your fingers.

Menzerna Intensive 91E is a top 1500 grit strength polish but I think that using the PC instead of a rotary may require a second application of SFX 1 or you get a foamed wool pad for it.

When you look closely, can you see a narrow groove in these scratches or can you feel them with your fingernails

Some scratches are just into the metal and can`t be removed but hidden fairly well

Best of luck

Remember to finish with Menzerna Final Finish, SFX 3 or other finishing polish before applying AIO

Wax_on_Wax_Off
08-29-2007, 08:38 PM
None of these scratches can be feel with a finger nail.

I think next time I am going for more than one pass with SFX-1

paul e -- all shot are after the SFX-1. But its harder to see with light, the angle have to be right. That`s why 2 pic look a bit different. But these sratches is unlike the usual spider cob mark, its actually a lot less visible. The angle and the lighting has to be right to see it.

Regardz,

clnfrk
08-31-2007, 12:05 AM
clnfrk -- thanks.

I`ll try to follow your suggestion next time, to do it with slower motion.

And if that doesnt work I may try Menzerna. Should try with PowerGloss

right away or should I try with Intensive Polish first and see how much sracth is lifted.

MrAp -- if SFX1 is more aggressive shouldn`t it be the one that should be able to take out the scratches, I didn`t try SFX2 or SFX3 yet. I will do that next time and test if it

make noticeable differences.

Regardz,

As a general rule, you should always start with the least aggressive first and move up as necessary. But, I personally think that your results won`t be any better than with the SFX 1 if you go with the IP. If thats the case, then try the PG.

But, like Paul mentioned... you may need to do 2 or more passes to get the desired results due to the abrasives in the polishes and compounds diminishing before certain defects are satisfactorily removed. Patience is key here, especially if you are working with a PC. So, perhaps you should first try doing more passes as necessary with the SFX 1 and see how that works for you.

Wax_on_Wax_Off
09-15-2007, 01:54 AM
I just thought I`d some update on this.

So I decided to give Menzerna a try, and I am so glad I did. All of the scrathes that couldn`t be removed with Sonus SFX-1, and SFX-2 are now 95% gone.

I recently bought Menzerna Intensive Polish and Final Polish II and BlackFire SRC Finishing Polish.

Looking at Menzerna chart the Intensive polish is designed to remove 2000 sanding grit, and Final Polish II is 2500 , and BlackFire SRC FP also 2500.

So Initially I did try a section of the hood with Menzerna IP with Orange CCS pad, then applied Final Polish II with White CCS pad. And I am very happy with the result, as I can tell right away that most of those straches are gone (compare to using SFX-1 and SFX-2).

Then I experimented with another section of the hood with just Final Polish II, and the first attempt (IP + FF II) still yield a better results.

Then I tried another different section of the hood with BlackFire SRC FP with Orange CCS pad, and immediately notice the gloss, and the result is better than Menzerna IP + FF II combo. And I want to see if it make any different by applying FF II. And as far as my eyes can tell, there is no noticeable different between BlackFire SRC FP vs (BlackFire SRC FP + Menzerna FF II).

Then I decided to do the whole car with BlackFire SRC FP with Orang CCS pad then sealed it with Klasse AIO.

Given the BlackFire is designed for ceramic paint (harder than traditional paint), even with 2500 sanding grit rating, it seems it does the same if not better than Menzerna IP (2000) with definite benefit that BlackFire has more gloss and depth.

I can`t help but thinking that perhaps the polishing compound particle outlast the traditional paint polish such as Menzerna IP, given it has less cutting power rating. :nixweiss

Nonethelese I am very happy with my recent purchase, and you can say I am a Menzerna believer now.

Here are some pics I took afterward.

Regardz,

J

wannafbody
09-15-2007, 09:47 AM
a PC will never remove deep scratches. Sometimes a rotary won`t either.

imported_Indy YZF
09-15-2007, 01:07 PM
On the detailers product chart, Menzerna IP is equivalent in strength PB SSR2, 3M-Finesse IT, and 3M Cleaner Wax Medium Ox remover.. Yet, you seemed to get more scratches out with it than you did with Sonus SFX-1 which is equivalent in strength to PB SSR2.5 and Meguiars #83!

Anybody have any idea for the reason for this apparent paradox?