PDA

View Full Version : What is this?

Jek Hawkins
08-26-2007, 08:02 PM
OK, I just got my first car, :spot , but there was definitely something wrong. The car was supposed to be green, but it was most definitely blue toward the back passenger side. Pictures are provided. To take it off, I used Nu-Finish (Yes, I know what the standing opinion of Nu-Finish is...) on terry cloths. Well, it came off just fine, really easily, in fact, with the Nu-Finish and a bit of rubbing. It came off as an orange...stuff...that looked a lot like rust. Eh? Here`s the background on the car, came from Merritt island down here in FL, was claimed to be always kept under wax and well-washed. (Obviously not because of the horrendous amount of swirl marks when I got a good look at the car under the sun...)

Well, they say a picture says a thousand words:

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1090/874082538_5ac6c07afd.jpg?v=0

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1229/874079930_6176a5afa7.jpg?v=0

Now here`s the problem. That stuff is on my windows. On the rear hatch it comes off with the Nu-Finish, but on the passenger side windows that stuff doesn`t budge. I hate it and I`m really frustrated. WHAT SHOULD I DO, AND WHAT THE HECK IS THIS STUFF?

Feel free to browse the pictures on my Flickr, by the way, if it`ll help.

Jek Hawkins
10-17-2007, 07:51 AM
hm, i`m getting an awful lot of love here... nobody has had anything to say since 8-26-07?

BlueZero
10-17-2007, 09:22 AM
The stuff in the photos was removed by Nu-finish?

SuperBee364
10-17-2007, 11:30 AM
Yikes, I haven`t a clue what that stuff is. I`d find a professional detailer in your area and have them take a look. It`s really hard to venture a guess from just the pictures.

imported_themightytimmah
10-17-2007, 11:45 AM
Could be hard water contamination, could be paint failure, could be oxidation. The fact that Nu-finish took some of it off with a rust colored residue points to a contaminant. See if you can get some Meguiar`s #80 at a local store and try that via hand - it`s more aggressive than Nu-finish and it may aid in removing the spots.

It`s hard to say from photos, but #1 looks like water spotting, and #2 looks like some sort of pre-failure. Older Acura paint is pretty vulnerable to the sun down here. The swirls are probably a good sign that it was waxed and washed regularly - most people with little experience swirl the heck out of things when they wash and wax (poor quality towels, contaminated towels), you only really see a low-swirl finish on cars that were neglected or touchless washed only.

Don
10-17-2007, 11:57 AM
Maybe some clay followed by Megs #80?

Ticman2
10-17-2007, 12:03 PM
Now here`s the problem. That stuff is on my windows. On the rear hatch it comes off with the Nu-Finish, but on the passenger side windows that stuff doesn`t budge. I hate it and I`m really frustrated. WHAT SHOULD I DO, AND WHAT THE HECK IS THIS STUFF?

I would try some Megs #2 Fine cut cleaner on the windows. I have been using for some time on glass with very good results. You can work it by hand or rotary. For really bad ones you might want to try #4 Heavy cut but you really need a rotary for #4.

Tic

Smithule
10-17-2007, 12:04 PM
Looks like oxidation to me. A decent compound could probably take care of it.

Paulie Walnuts
10-17-2007, 03:03 PM
Only other thing I can think of is that I caused damage like that to a car once by using Castrol Super Degreaser on paint. It left markings just like those. Only repainting would fix it.

If you have color variations like that I would be going back to where ever the car was bought.

SpoiledMan
10-17-2007, 03:12 PM
The lines of the car are familiar. G3 Integra? Thought so. :D Has it ever been repainted in that area? Looks like it was improperly done and it`s dying a slow death.

Jek Hawkins
10-17-2007, 05:34 PM
10-17-07 10:22

BlueZero The stuff in the photos was removed by Nu-finish?

yes, it was, it strikes me i nvr provided the link to the Flickr photos so here ya go

Team Integra - a photoset on Flickr (http://flickr.com/photos/jek_hawkins/sets/72157600958710147/)

10-17-07 12:45

themightytimmah Could be hard water contamination, could be paint failure, could be oxidation. The fact that Nu-finish took some of it off with a rust colored residue points to a contaminant. See if you can get some Meguiar`s #80 at a local store and try that via hand - it`s more aggressive than Nu-finish and it may aid in removing the spots.

It`s hard to say from photos, but #1 looks like water spotting, and #2 looks like some sort of pre-failure. Older Acura paint is pretty vulnerable to the sun down here. The swirls are probably a good sign that it was waxed and washed regularly - most people with little experience swirl the heck out of things when they wash and wax (poor quality towels, contaminated towels), you only really see a low-swirl finish on cars that were neglected or touchless washed only

well the paint is pretty good now, i DID miss a few spots, but they`re pretty obscure, like under the back bumper, would meg`s 80 do it on windows too? and yes, the swirl marks are annoying, but u have a pretty darn good point...

10-17-07 01:03

Ticman2

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jek Hawkins

I would try some Megs #2 Fine cut cleaner on the windows. I have been using for some time on glass with very good results. You can work it by hand or rotary. For really bad ones you might want to try #4 Heavy cut but you really need a rotary for #4.

Tic

thx man, i`ll def look into that

10-17-07 04:03

WilliamHBonney Only other thing I can think of is that I caused damage like that to a car once by using Castrol Super Degreaser on paint. It left markings just like those. Only repainting would fix it.

If you have color variations like that I would be going back to where ever the car was bought.

ouch

10-17-07 04:12

SpoiledMan The lines of the car are familiar. G3 Integra? Thought so. Has it ever been repainted in that area? Looks like it was improperly done and it`s dying a slow death.

YAY TEG! haha, um, ur question is a good one, there is no history of it being repainted, but if u get a good look at the finish, there`s a lot of "orange peel" effect everywhere, and it puzzles me bc i`ve seen *some orange peel but this is ridiculous, so answer is, idk, but the previous owner said the car had nvr been repainted...

i just started a mor recent thread bc nobody had responded to this one that has a bit mor, since the pics the car has been clayed with megs and cleaner waxed with mothers, but nothing, absolutely NOTHING is working on those windows, i will keep in mind ur suggestions tho, thx, mebbe i get pics of my shiny car on here soon...

imageautodetail
10-17-2007, 06:23 PM
Only other thing I can think of is that I caused damage like that to a car once by using Castrol Super Degreaser on paint. It left markings just like those. Only repainting would fix it.

I agree, it looks like stains from a harsh cleanser, or APC drying on the car, I have been able to remove such staining with compounding.

SpoiledMan
10-17-2007, 07:41 PM
Can you explain why it would magically stop right at the panel edge?

Jek Hawkins
10-18-2007, 08:43 AM
the paint stains wer removed by Nu-Finish, the picutres provided are there for comparison... the entire car is back to normal, but thanks for all the comments providing help!

as an answer for anybody who has had similiar *stuff* on their paint, depending on the depth of the damage, a polish, even one like Nu-Finish, or a compound, would suffice to take the junk off.

so spoiled, that`s why the damage magically stopped :)

this is more about the windows, the same products are not working on the windows, but i will give the recommended stuff a try, pictures will be provided

does Wal-Mart carry these products, or which auto-store should i try?

Don
10-20-2007, 10:28 AM
the paint stains wer removed by Nu-Finish, the picutres provided are there for comparison... the entire car is back to normal, but thanks for all the comments providing help!

as an answer for anybody who has had similiar *stuff* on their paint, depending on the depth of the damage, a polish, even one like Nu-Finish, or a compound, would suffice to take the junk off.

so spoiled, that`s why the damage magically stopped :)

this is more about the windows, the same products are not working on the windows, but i will give the recommended stuff a try, pictures will be provided

does Wal-Mart carry these products, or which auto-store should i try?

I`ve heard more than one person who`s used the PC or Orbital with a more aggressive polish/cleaner (Megs #4) on glass with stubborn issues like yours.

Link to post by Mike Phillips on MOL (http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/post/25778.aspx)