PDA

View Full Version : When clay magic isn`t enough

Pages : [1] 2

tC_Crazy
08-26-2007, 06:15 PM
Well, my black sand pearl 06 tC was driven from Chicago to Louisville, then back to Chicago the day before yesterday. Needless to say, there were bugs galore on the front end. And, since those panels were recently painted (front end collision) there was absolutely no wax/sealant protection. :scared:

I gave it a proper GC wash and the front end a QD. No major difference. So I broke out the Clay Magic kit. And guess what? Barely any difference. Except maybe I removed the fillers from the glaze that the body shop used a few weeks ago so I discovered even more buffer swirls. :wall

I reclayed the area but about 75% of the bugs/residue are still there. What should I do next? I don`t own a PC. Man, this is frustrating.

:help:

mikebai1990
08-26-2007, 06:54 PM
You can try an all-purpose cleaner mixed at a concentrated dose, and see whether that helps. You can also try Tarminator or WD-40.

tC_Crazy
08-26-2007, 07:14 PM
Alright I`ll try some WD-40. If that doesn`t work I`ll get some Tarminator. Congrats on 1600 posts, by the way!

mikebai1990
08-26-2007, 07:22 PM
Haha thanks... I didn`t realize until I have 1603 posts now :)

David Fermani
08-26-2007, 07:47 PM
There`s a good chance that the bugs could be etched into your new paint work. New paint, because it is super soft, could damage alot easier when bugs smash into it going 80mph+. It could be damaged beyond repair?

Adam's Polishes
08-26-2007, 07:58 PM
There`s a good chance that the bugs could be etched into your new paint work. New paint, because it is super soft, could damage alot easier when bugs smash into it going 80mph+. It could be damaged beyond repair?

:werd:

Depending on how recently that paint was done you may have bugs literally imbedded in your paint :shocked

tC_Crazy
08-26-2007, 08:11 PM
Damn! I assume there`s no clear "above" the bugs, so would it be possible to polish those out if I got a PC?

The work was actually completed July 12th. I brought it back to the shop 2-3 weeks ago because I discovered a lot of buffer swirls and holograms. So they polished it again and put some filler-loaded glaze on and called it done. I expected this and just decided to live with it until I can buy a PC.

And yeah my sister was driving the car (we`re sharing it) and she drives like... well... a college kid. So yes I expect it was going above 80 and at some point maybe well above that.

I tried WD40 and it did pretty much nothing. Meguiars DC#1 seemed to help a little on the lighter ones, but it was getting dark so I couldn`t really tell.

Maybe I should put in that order for a PC and some OP.

Adam's Polishes
08-26-2007, 08:35 PM
I hesitate to say the PC is a good idea... if theres any good sized `bug chunks` left they`ll just be picked up and swirled around on your paint... not really sure what to do with something like this.

Have you tried a more aggressive clay??

SVR
08-26-2007, 08:42 PM
clay magic red might be needed there. if that don`t work, soak the area with low pressure water for a few minutes and then wash off with an alkaline APC product and shampoo.

doesn`t sound good though. fresh paint and bugs.

Next time invest in an aussie made car bra with glad wrap underneath the bra.

tC_Crazy
08-27-2007, 10:42 PM
Yeah all the bug "chunks" are gone. All thats really left is the residue and/or etching. As soon as the 90 day wait time for new paint is up I`m going to make sure I get a good wax on it and reapply on the front end (or the whole car hehe) before any roadtrips. Unfortunately, I might have to take my car to Michigan for a college visit September 13th. eek. Maybe I should just attach some nice thick MF towels to the front of the car and drive around like that until the paint cures.

:har:

kapinnn
08-28-2007, 07:21 AM
Yeah all the bug "chunks" are gone. All thats really left is the residue and/or etching. As soon as the 90 day wait time for new paint is up I`m going to make sure I get a good wax on it and reapply on the front end (or the whole car hehe) before any roadtrips. Unfortunately, I might have to take my car to Michigan for a college visit September 13th. eek. Maybe I should just attach some nice thick MF towels to the front of the car and drive around like that until the paint cures.

:har:

You can always tape the front of your car on long trips.

imported_JoshVette
08-28-2007, 07:41 AM
Try a good bug and tar remover and go over it a few times.

Than reclay if you have too.

Josh

imported_FMINUS
08-28-2007, 01:10 PM
Use a body solvent or switch up to a harsher clay.

MrAP
08-28-2007, 01:40 PM

Glad wrap is to help prevent paint/clearcoat damage?

AP

Bert
08-29-2007, 11:30 AM

When I go on road trips, I spray a product called Bug Guard on the front of my car. Bugs just spray off after that. Not sure if that would work on new paint but it works on older paint.