PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever used a PC on a Saturn Ion or Vue?

imported_RedlineIRL
08-26-2007, 01:22 PM
I`m getting ready to get everything I need with the PC 7424, but I`m unsure which products I`ll need. I`m not for sure how thick or thin the clear is on these cars, so I`m hoping someone that has used a PC on an Ion or Vue could tell me what works best. I`ll be using it on my bright red `05 Saturn Ion, if the color makes a difference. I just want to remove the swirls it has in it, so if someone could tell me which pads, polish, and speed I should use it would really help me out. I have zero experience with the 7424, so what`s a good starting point so I don`t screw up anything or make it worse?

99blackSE
08-26-2007, 10:43 PM
From what I have gathered GM clear is a little harder than average. You should have more than enough clear though to use something like Optimum Compound on a medium cutting pad or something similar. You could probably even go straight to something like HTEC or OHC (Hi Temp Extreme Cut / Optimum Hyper Compound) if the damage is really bad.

Start out with a less/least aggresive polish/pad combo though to get a scope on the severity.

For working in most polishes, speed 6 on the PC seems to work for me.

Have you read through some of these articles?

http://autopia.org/forum/guide-detailing/

Also post up some pictures so we can see what you are dealing with.

jesselyons2002
08-26-2007, 11:57 PM
I use the PC on my moms blue saturn ion. The clear was hard. I used IP and orange pad to take off the swirls.

a.k.a. Patrick
08-27-2007, 12:04 AM
Ive used the FS Body Shop polishes on a blue Ion before. Cleaned up very nicely in average time. I would offer a pic but something is going on with photobucket.com, and I cant upload anything....I agree with the above post, Orange pad is a good place to start with swirls....

imported_RedlineIRL
08-31-2007, 07:34 PM
Thanks for the tips everyone. What speed should be sufficient enough with the orange pad? The finish is like new with a few light swirls.

99blackSE
08-31-2007, 10:16 PM
Thanks for the tips everyone. What speed should be sufficient enough with the orange pad? The finish is like new with a few light swirls.

I would say speed 5-6 for correction.

imported_RedlineIRL
08-31-2007, 10:34 PM
I would say speed 5-6 for correction.

Thanks for the info.

imported_bpfoley
09-01-2007, 10:19 AM
I went at my Wife`s Vue thinking the clear would be soft and it would be an easy job. Unfortunately it wasn`t. I would say the clear was as hard as my VW. I pretty much used the same attack strategy that I use with my car. I went with IP and a yellow pad in some areas and orange in others. Then FPII with white. It was a lot of work and multiple passes all at speed 6, but the outcome is amazing. Her car is an `07 and looks better than new, the flake is amazing (we bought blue metallic).

Next time around I am going to get some Optimum for longer work time and no dusting. IP work time is too short and the dusting drives me nuts.

wannafbody
09-01-2007, 12:09 PM
Saturn`s have plastic panels like Fbodies. Stick with a polish (Menzerna, Mothers powerpolish, Megs 80, or ZPC) and white and orange pads at speed 5.

imported_RedlineIRL
09-01-2007, 01:35 PM
Her car is an `07 and looks better than new, the flake is amazing (we bought blue metallic).

The Indigo Blue Metallic? That`s a really nice color.

Saturn`s have plastic panels like Fbodies. Stick with a polish (Menzerna, Mothers powerpolish, Megs 80, or ZPC) and white and orange pads at speed 5.

I thought f-bodies only had ploymer front fenders.

I`ll try the orange pads since that`s what many seem to suggest.

wannafbody
09-01-2007, 01:43 PM
The hood is fiberglass on WS6 and SS models. The rear quarters are steel, everything else is plastic.

m4gician
09-01-2007, 08:25 PM
http://autopia.org/forum/click-brag/95636-2005-saturn-vue-my-first-official-detail.html?highlight=saturn+vue

2005 Saturn Vue.

The polymer polishes just like metal, remember your hood and tail gate are sheet metal. The SSR2.5 doesn`t dust on polymer with LC orange.

imported_RedlineIRL
09-02-2007, 09:31 PM
http://autopia.org/forum/click-brag/95636-2005-saturn-vue-my-first-official-detail.html?highlight=saturn+vue

2005 Saturn Vue.

The polymer polishes just like metal, remember your hood and tail gate are sheet metal. The SSR2.5 doesn`t dust on polymer with LC orange.

Nice job on the Vue, the difference is amazing.