PDA

View Full Version : Textured black plastic

The Pit
06-16-2005, 11:04 AM
I just picked up a Grand Cherokee that has these mirrors.

What is the best way to protect them for durability, prevent fading, and provide easy cleanup? Can I use the AIO/UPP combo?

Thanks in advance (and sorry for the larger-than-life image).

http://home.wi.rr.com/canyons/mirror.jpg

Mungo
06-16-2005, 12:17 PM
I cant speak for UPP but I have used AIO on textured black and it works great.

BTW, is that Patriot Blue? I had an `00 until 6 mos ago. Loved that color. Glowed like a SOB when all done up. Never understood why the JGC, at least the Limited verison, didnt have body colored mirrors.

smprince1
06-16-2005, 12:20 PM
For textured black exterior plastic, I have had the best results with:

Poorboys Trim Restorer
Megs #38

Also very important to get the plastic as clean as possible before
applying the dressing. It will have a much better appearance and
the dressing will last longer.

Just my $0.02

The Pit
06-16-2005, 02:16 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys.

BTW, is that Patriot Blue? I had an `00 until 6 mos ago. Loved that color. Glowed like a SOB when all done up. Never understood why the JGC, at least the Limited verison, didnt have body colored mirrors.
Patriot Blue, indeed. My favorite on the JGC. Painted mirrors would be nice, then I`d know how best to deal with them. :D

smprince1 - how long does the PB TR/#38 combo last?

Beemerboy
06-16-2005, 03:11 PM
PB TR applied then buffed to bring to a luster. I had an 00 Cherokee and that`s what I used. Also will work well on that black plastic cover on the rear bumper, the plastic around the hitch lower back bumper.
The grill up front and the rails on the roof.

Buff the heck out of it and it will stand up and shine while the water beads and runs off.

smprince1
06-16-2005, 05:42 PM
Pit:

To clarify, I use either PB TR or Megs #38, not both in combination.

As always durability depends on many factors, but I probably get 3-6 weeks out of either one before it looks like it needs to be re-applied.

The Pit
06-17-2005, 07:13 AM
Thanks for the tips everyone. I`m planning to do a mini-test, with PB TR on one side and AIO on the other. Then I`ll be able to compare the results.

daniel
02-04-2009, 05:11 PM
new to the site, don`t know the abbreviations.is there a lexicon or something ?, also looking for textured black plastic bumpers for new jeep, and also light colored 2000 and up that is fading. daniel

Beemerboy
02-04-2009, 05:17 PM
new to the site, don`t know the abbreviations.is there a lexicon or something ?, also looking for textured black plastic bumpers for new jeep, and also light colored 2000 and up that is fading. daniel

Daniel

Welcome to the site from Sonoma County CA

The poorboys world trim restore that was mentioned above is the product for you...I`ve had 3 jeeps the first two had the grainy paneling on the bottom that fads out and looks ugly the trim restore will bring that back...you will have to apply a few coats over a week or so but it will bring back the plastic

blk45
02-04-2009, 05:30 PM
new to the site, don`t know the abbreviations.is there a lexicon or something ?,

:welcome: to DC!

http://www.detailcity.org/forums/getting-most-out-detail-city/20834-updated-acronym-list.html

jaybs02
02-04-2009, 07:13 PM
:welcome: Daniel
I agree with Beemer, PB`s trim restore will bring back the faded plastic, but it does require more than one coat. Make sure that the plastic is clean first and then apply, by the second or third coat it will look great. Then after that it is just maintenance with it.