PDA

View Full Version : How to apply PASTE WAX w/ PC ?

Pages : [1] 2

Danny318
08-23-2007, 09:42 PM
I just got some collinite 476s... The stuff seems like cold butter in consistency, I dont even know where to begin to apply this stuff! I am used to nice liquids. What is the best way to get the stuff onto the foam pad, and then from the pad to the paint? Is it really a complete waste to do it w/ a PC? I`d much prefere to do it w/ my PC even if it is a *bit* more wasteful or ineffient or whatever...

How do you all do it with paste waxes?

baseballlover1
08-23-2007, 10:06 PM
i just got inside from using P21s carnouba paste wax (which is amazing) for the 1st time w/ my PC. All i did was basically hit it on the pad then rub it around. I was worried that there wouldnt be enouph wax on the pad but, i think i actually put too much on. It was great fun. I just have fun with the most random things.

kapinnn
08-23-2007, 10:09 PM
Just let the wax slide off the jar over your pad. Squeeze the jar or hold it in an angle so the wax does not move. Spread it evenly around the pad.

Yeah, don`t use much. You don`t need to see a film of wax, a thin layer is all you need. The more wax you apply the harder it will be to remove.

By the way, I would apply 476s by hand. It`s a pain to remove from pads... I`d rather keep an applicator just for it.

stiffdogg06
08-23-2007, 10:16 PM
You can also "butter" it on.

Just like you would butter a piece of bread.

kapinnn
08-23-2007, 10:19 PM
You can also "butter" it on.

Just like you would butter a piece of bread.

I dunno if i`d suggest that for 476. I`d "butter" it with a plastic knife with show waxes but 476 is a pain to remove if applied too thick.

Danny318
08-23-2007, 10:55 PM
Hmm okay. The can is metal and i think it would be hard to get it onto the pad... Would it work to cut out a chunk and then slide that around on the pad like a piece of butter untill its got a film on the pad, and then go to work untill the pad runs out of wax?

imported_etml12
08-23-2007, 11:25 PM
Hmm okay. The can is metal and i think it would be hard to get it onto the pad... Would it work to cut out a chunk and then slide that around on the pad like a piece of butter untill its got a film on the pad, and then go to work untill the pad runs out of wax?

Danny,

That is exactly what I do when I use my 3M Perfect-it paste wax. Just be very careful not to apply too much to the pad (as mentioned previously). With the 3M, I find one swipe around the pad is enough to cover 1 panel with ease. Also, to help spread thick pastes thin and even, I like to prime the pad with some sort of QD at the beginning. With the PC on 4-4.5 I can generally cover a midsize or smaller vehicle in less than 15 minutes.

Scottwax
08-23-2007, 11:26 PM
Honestly, I prefer to lightly twist a foam hand pad in the wax and then get to spreading it on the car. I can do it so much faster by hand with a paste, I don`t bother doing it via PC.

When I have though, I use a putty knife and lightly spread the wax onto the pad.

Danny318
08-23-2007, 11:31 PM
sweet. I am gonna knife it up tomorrow. I`m actually putting this stuff on a boat. First time I have done a boat, and first time I have used this wax. It says right on the can that its good for boats though. I was going to polish out the oxidation, then poli-seal, then 476. My other stuff I have is opti-seal and # 26. What do yall think?

imported_Bence
08-24-2007, 08:10 AM
I stuff my black pad into the tin, twist once, then put it on the machine. Way faster and simpler than cutting/putty knife`ing...

Other quick technique with a paste: if you have a jar which doesn`t have a lip like the Collinite, simply knock the wax loose, then turn the jar upside down, to butter the pad with it. You don`t have to take out the wax and other unnecessary, but recommended BS. Just hold the jar itself. Then put the lid back and you`re ready to go.

Accumulator
08-24-2007, 12:19 PM
I dunno if i`d suggest ..[what you folks are suggesting]...that for 476. I`d "butter" it with a plastic knife with show waxes but 476 is a pain to remove if applied too thick.

Yeah, 476S is *VERY* different from P21S and 3M Showcar Paste ;)

I`ll be the first to admit that this particular wax isn`t the easiest stuff to apply by PC. I either butter it on with a plastic razor blade or I scrunch the pad up in the can and then scrape off the excess (again with the plastic razor blade). So I guess I vacillate between

what kapinnn and ScottWax do.

This is one reason why I sorta wish I`d stockpiled their Fleetwax instead of the Double Coat...same stuff but in a larger tin that fits the PC pads better :o But then I usually use the Cyclo anyhow.

TortoiseAWD
08-24-2007, 12:58 PM
Danny318,

I`m not familiar with the Collinite tin, but if it`s like Meg`s #16 (a flat, wide-mouth tin), then you might consider picking up a 4" spot pad for the PC. My 4" Sonus SFX-3 pads will fit right into the old-school wide/flat containers . . . wiggle the pad a bit, and you pick up enough to wax a section.

Tort

imported_sonyexec
08-24-2007, 01:10 PM
WOW I must be old if this new crop of autopians find wax in a tin can an oddity LOL.

Ok here`s what I do with my megs #16 when I decide to use the PC. I cut the wax in half then pull one chunk out of the tin and rub it on my foam pad, just enough to do one panel, very thin coat. Do the rubbing over a bucket or other clean surface with a towel below you because I can guarantee you that the chunk will fall on the floor at some point.

Typically I don`t use a PC to apply my wax, with the surface prep`d correctly applying and removing wax is faster by hand - in my never to be humble opinion.

getright
08-24-2007, 01:31 PM
WAX STICK! Best invention ever.

Accumulator
08-24-2007, 01:33 PM
..I`m not familiar with the Collinite tin, but if it`s like Meg`s #16 (a flat, wide-mouth tin),

The #16 tin is a lot better for this than the Collinite 476S one :(