PDA

View Full Version : Oxidized Plastic

ShineyWhiteRex
08-23-2007, 09:05 PM
Unfortunately, I did not take a picture...forgot my camera today so try and imagine this the best you can. I am working on a 2006 Subaru Forester and on the rear hatch door their is a chrome plastic strip the goes right under the window and has the Subaru emblem embedded in it. This chrome, for one reason are other is, as the title says, oxidized. It is all hazy and has splotches where what I would guess would be the true color comes through, it also happens to be scratched. I took some polish to it but did not want to be to aggressive and got no results. Has anyone run into anything like this before? Any advice besides replacing the piece?

Setec Astronomy
08-23-2007, 09:27 PM
IMO what you are seeing is clear laquer or lamination which has been compromised and I don`t think you will be able to do much about it.

PTRon
08-24-2007, 05:17 AM
Chances are that moisture got between the chrome film and the actual plastic strip. If that`s the case then replacement is in order. As it`s an 06, Subaru might replace it for the owner if he makes a big enough deal out of it. They might even have a TSB about it. If they won`t do it for free, offer to do it for him (for a fee, of course). Use a hair dryer or heat gun to soften the glue, dental floss to actually do the removal, 3M adhesive remover, and then polish the area. The strip will probably come with the 3M adhesive tape already installed. Seal the ends of the plastic strip with clear nail polish to prevent moisture from entering again (do this twice). Clean the body area where the strip will go with denatured alcohol, use 3M adhesive promoter on the area, and just peel off the tape and stick it on. It`ll stick as well (if not better) as the factory install and definitely better than a dealer install.