PDA

View Full Version : 1st time PC use on antique Roadster

PRS
06-15-2005, 06:09 PM
My MGB was painted last year and always sits in an enclosed garage. I have hand polished using P21s GEPC then P21S wax after the cure in period and thought that it looked good. Last month I bought a PC from Lowes and ordered some pads from Propel and had used it on 3 of my cars, but the B was out of comission at the time as I was working on it so it went a month without a bath and had lots of grease smudges on it. Hand washed and it looked good again so I used Adams detail spray and then got out the green pad with SSR1. Went around 2 times with the SSR1, then went to a black pad and used PBs Professional Polish then 2 coats of P21S by hand and it looks almost a different color in the sun than it did before and the sides look like a mirror.

I have noticed that when I use multible coats of P21S as a topper on dark colored cars that you can drive down the road by looking at the reflection of the oncoming road in the hood, even though everything is upside down. I find myself doing that sometimes right after a good wax job, probibly not to safe.
Paul

Thomas Dekany
06-15-2005, 06:57 PM
Very beautiful! How much did you spend on the paint job? I`ll assume that it is CCed?

onemeanmachine
06-15-2005, 06:58 PM
Wow, that looks awesome! Great job and nice ride.

PRS
06-17-2005, 05:02 AM
Tdekany,
yes it is PPG CC paint. A friend of mine told me about a good young painter that had to move back in with his father(also a painter)with his kids due to a divorce. Took my car to him to get a quote on a full paint strip, fix all small rust spots dints dings etc... I was expecting him to say about 3000 dollars but he looked it over good and said 800 dollars, my reply was that is not enough. When all was done it cost just 1200 dollars and that included welding in a new floor pan which I furnished. I felt a little guilty but that was the price that he wanted. He now lives in Charlotte NC and paints for a Nascar Truck team. It took him 6 months to complete so it was not a perfect experience. His father told me while looking at the finished product that his son had undercharged me, No S@#t is what I thought but I just smiled and drove it home.
Paul

Thomas Dekany
06-17-2005, 03:08 PM
Thanks for the info!

You were very lucky, but that is life. Someone`s loss is another`s gain.

Enjoy!