PDA

View Full Version : Compounding

JoFred
08-23-2007, 05:43 PM
The paint on a car that i have has paint that is still in decent condition, however, there are small scratches and minor paint imperfections on alot of areas on the car.

Is compounding the entire car necessary? or should i just compound the areas with the defects?

Is compounding an entire vehicle a good idea?

imported_Jakerooni
08-23-2007, 06:12 PM
When compounding you can choose to pick and choose. But you might miss something. If it`s a very aggressive compound that`s needed I would probably pick and choose. Then go over the entire car with a light compound for fine scratches. Followed by a full fine polish followed by a foam pad polish if needed then a final wax and wipe down.

Accumulator
08-23-2007, 08:51 PM
JoFred- It can be a fine line between "compounds" and "polishes" and different companies use the words in different ways. It can be confusing.

I usually only get very aggressive where it`s truly needed, then I do the whole car with something milder to "even it out".

By the sound of it, you need a sorta-aggressive polish. That might be called a "compound" or it might be called a "polish" :think: If you`re working by hand your options are a little limited. If you`re working by PC there are more options, but not as many as if you`re working with a rotary.

Give us a little more info and perhaps we can find a good starting point.