PDA

View Full Version : Need help deciding what to get...

micagreenmachin
08-22-2007, 03:02 PM
First post here and boy am I confused... There`s so many products to choose from! I`ve searched, but I think I`m lost...

I`m trying to decide what to get to take care of my `99 Miata and my wife`s `02 WRX. Both have dark metallic paint, the miata is mica green and the subaru is midnight blue (really dark blue, almost black with dark blue flakes).

The paint on the miata isn`t too bad, but its got some good (bad) swirls on the hood and the trunk has some buffer holograms from some past bodywork. Other than that, it`s never been buffed or polished before.

We`re the 3rd owners of the subaru... The paint looks ok on it, but has some spots that look like they were polished carelessly by someone else and look a little hazy.

I`m going to get a PC and some lake country orange and white pads. I`m probably going to pick up some Meg`s #83 followed #80 to handle the swirls/haze, but I`m not sure what to finish it off with. Any recommendations for a good sealant and/or wax to finish them off that`s good on dark colors? I can get the meg`s locally but if there`s something better for my application I`m open to it. Both cars need some good protection as they are both daily drivers year round in the Chicago area.

I don`t mind applying the finishing coats by hand, I`m getting the PC mostly just for polishing purposes...

Thanks,

-Todd

Dan
08-22-2007, 03:12 PM
NXT or #21 would be good if you want a sealant. #26 is fantastic too, even better #21 topped with #26. BTW, the 83/80 is a great combo, underrated IMO. There are other products that are great too, but if you use Meguiars` there will be no compatibility issues.

DM101
08-22-2007, 03:18 PM
Agree. Why don`t you give Meguiars a call at their 1-800 number. These guys are good at telling you what you will need. Good luck!

NXT or #21 would be good if you want a sealant. #26 is fantastic too, even better #21 topped with #26. BTW, the 83/80 is a great combo, underrated IMO. There are other products that are great too, but if you use Meguiars` there will be no compatibility issues.

micagreenmachin
08-22-2007, 03:41 PM
I guess it would be a good idea to stick with meg`s for the finish, especially since I am a noob when it comes to polishing...

Good idea to call them too. I`m still open to some non-meguiars options (incl. the polish) if someone thinks another product would give me better results based on what I have to work with.

Thanks!

jshillin
08-23-2007, 05:23 AM
If you are looking for OTC products, check out Duragloss at your local napa/carquest. If you want to order something, get a nice glaze and/or a sealant... Lot`s of options there, you can go the Zaino route, or get some RMG or Danase Wet glaze and EX-P, OS, lots and choices...

Accumulator
08-23-2007, 01:55 PM
micagreenmachin- Welcome to Autopia!

For people just starting out, I always recommend 1Z brand polishes topped with Collinite wax (sources: Welcome to Exceldetail.com! (http://www.exceldetail.com/) or Aloha & Welcome to Our Oasis for All Your Auto Detailing Supplies & Accessories (http://www.pakshak.com/index.html) ).

I find the 1Z stuff *MUCH* more user-friendly than the Meguiar`s polishes and the Collinite is both user friendly (especially their 845) and extremely durable (rivaling sealants).

And that stuff isn`t just for newbies, I use it myself. They could offer a money-back satisfaction guarantee and never return a penny ;)