PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever been to Cancun / Riviera Maya?

DETAILKING
08-22-2007, 10:40 AM
I am trying to pick an all inclusive resort in that area for a one week vacation. Reviews are driving me crazy....just when you think you found the right place you read a few bad things that turn you off. Doesn`t seem like any of the places are perfect.

We are looking for an adults only (preffered) resort that is all inclusive in the area. Anyone been? Any recommendations?

imported_smprince1
08-22-2007, 11:29 AM
My wife and I stayed near Playa del Carmen about 4 years ago. The oceanfront resorts are stacked side by side and from what I could tell they were similar in ammenities.

There are some decent day trips, we enjoyed the Mayan ruins at Chitchen Itza (sp?) and the diving is descent although not spectacular. Value was excellent if I recall, although the currency exchange may be different now.

pauldv
08-22-2007, 11:38 AM
2 years ago I stayed at Excellence Riviera Maya. It was the best until we had to evacuate because of hurricane Wilma. All inclusive couples only.

I am going in nov/dec with a group to Royal Playa del carmen all inclusive adults only. It looks similar to Excellence.

Get the best reviews at tripadvisor.com.

DETAILKING
08-22-2007, 12:24 PM
Thanks Paul,

I was leaning towards Excellence until I read a few reviews on Trip advisor about their Sand mite problem. If you use the beach you can bring them back into your room (known as bed bugs) and they bite the crap out of you. Some people posted pictures with t heir review that showed their legs bit up like 60-70 times. This really worries me.............

gmblack3
08-22-2007, 12:41 PM
Stayed at the Hilton a few times in Cancun. But not as an all inclusive plan. Maybe tip the maid $10 the first time you see her, tell her to change the sheets everyday for you. Then tell her another $10 will be given at the end of the trip.

Mikhail
08-22-2007, 07:04 PM
3 month ago I been in Punta Cana (Rio Palace Macao resort)....I like it a lot, probably will go there again in future.

Pats300zx
08-22-2007, 07:24 PM
I stopped in Cancun as part of a cruise. It was ok. I ended up doing a week in Cozumel and I love it. Was one of my best vacations. I wonder how things are down there now with Hurricane Dean.

White_07_G6_GT
08-22-2007, 07:32 PM
As part of her engagement gift I took my soon to be wife to Playa del Carmen we spent 5 nights at the Royal Hideaway. I got a fantastic deal from our agent who books all my company travel. I would go back again every year if I could a fantastic place!

Low Tech
08-22-2007, 07:49 PM
Got back a month ago from Paraiso de la Bonita in Riviera Maya near Puerto Morelos. Adults only. Very small, not all-inclusive, but highly recommended. Staff was excellent and food was superb. Thalasso spa was first-rate, too.

Paraiso de la Bonita Luxury Riviera Maya Resort in Mexico (http://www.paraisodelabonita.com/)

imported_DennisH
08-23-2007, 02:50 PM
First of all you need to log onto Playa del Carmen, Mexico`s Virtual Guide Book : Playa.Info (http://www.playa.info) and check out the forums there. The debate between “All Inclusive†and going to a smaller “Non Inclusive†is like the sealant and wax wars here. There are plus and minus to both, I tend to go to the smaller hotels with 50 or less rooms that are in the center of Playa De Carmen. Asking on the Playa forums which hotel is best is like asking which sealant is best on these forums. This is what I do - I research hotels on the forums because trip advisor has shills (yep they have to) doing bad review on other hotels in the area.

What I didn’t like about “All Inclusiveâ€.

Less choices on where to eat - At the AI that we stayed in had Pizza, hamburger and sandwich for lunch - give me break we are in Mexico.

They had 5 restaurant and only one served Mexican food - again where are we!

I felt that I could experience the same in Florida so why did come all the way to Mexico.

The only real plus I could see is that you really didn’t have to spend any money and with guards at the gate you felt safe. Even the water down American booze is free.

What I like about “Non Inclusiveâ€

There is over 100 restaurants in Playa for the dive (which by the way has some of the best food - the carts down the bus station is real must to try) Some really nice high end that you can spend some serious bucks (at least in Mexico) for a meal.

The food is safe and they use bottle water for everything from ice to washing the salad. Most people I have talk to that said they got sick in Mexico resort area had been eating hot food and chasing it with SOL or Tequila by the buck loads and just don’t understand why the are not feeling well.

The staff at the smaller hotels will get to know you quickly and will go out of their way to make you stay pleasant.

You want to really enjoy yourself log on the play.info and check out the peep meets - it will allow you to meet other people including some of the locals.

Also check out the tours - if you go to the Tulum and beyond tour with Mitch you will love it. Went on the Fat Cat tour last time and it was great. Also just down from the hotel was a place that with couple hours you could be scuba diving even if you have never do it before.

Over all the experience of really see mexico is just a blast and seeing it about from the AI type resorts.

I would stay out of Cancun unless you young, single and like to party all night.

Here are some pictures of our last trip to Playa - I try to go at least once a year this year we have already been there twice because of some good web deal from frontier Airlines.

http://gallery.mac.com/cwswine#100003&bgcolor=black

My wife and me budgets 100.00 dollars a day and find the we have plenty left over at the end of the trip. Playa has a lot banks that you can use you ATM card at, I don`t use credit cards nor debit cards in the shops. I bring on credit card and limit my debit card to 300.00 dollars a day while I`m gone.

Remember they are in business to make tourist happy and ripping you off or making you trip unpleasent will limit their income in the future.