PDA

View Full Version : Menzerna Glaze -- Please Help!

felthove
08-22-2007, 10:32 AM
I`ve been struggling to understand how to use this product correctly for some time. I bought some from the guys at Detailed Image and they recommended that I use it after polishing before applying my sealant (they recommended FMJ over the glaze). At one point I asked them if I could use this product every once and a while as a topper to fill in swirls between polishing sessions and they said it had solvents that would remove my LSP so it wasn`t a good idea. Therefore, I`ve been using it here and there before I apply my LSPs when I want that extra pop (I`ve been using synthetic products like DG105 and FMJ).

However, today at Autogeek I saw the glaze product description:

"Menzerna Finishing Glaze is a true glaze because it has no abrasives or solvents, just oils and fillers. The oils enrich the paint to create that elusive wet look. The filler in Menzerna Finishing Glaze is Kaolin clay, which settles into fine swirls to create the illusion of smooth paint. Wax seals in the clay filler to keep it in place until you either remove the swirls or reapply glaze and wax.

Menzerna Finishing Glaze has no corrective properties but it will remove old wax and even out the paint’s gloss. Old wax or product residues can create a patchy or cloudy shine but Menzerna Finishing Glaze evens out the paint surface so light reflects evenly."

So, from what I see here, there aren`t any solvents. Does this mean it won`t remove a synthetic wax/sealant like DG105 or FMJ?

It does say it will remove "wax" -- should I assume they mean carnauba?

From all this information it seems that the only way to top this product is with carnauba, since synthetic waxes will not be able to bond w/ the paint due to the oils and such in the glaze.

So if I use it to fill in swirls every now and then, is this going to remove my synthetic LSP?

I think I understand that I will have to top it w/ carnauba, and so there will be some protection, but I don`t want to remove the LSP I have on my car at present just to add that "glaze" look.

Any advice or wisdom would be appreciated!!

:hairpull

Lou K
08-22-2007, 10:43 AM
I`ve been struggling to understand how to use this product correctly for some time. I bought some from the guys at Detailed Image and they recommended that I use it after polishing before applying my sealant (they recommended FMJ over the glaze). At one point I asked them if I could use this product every once and a while as a topper to fill in swirls between polishing sessions and they said it had solvents that would remove my LSP so it wasn`t a good idea. Therefore, I`ve been using it here and there before I apply my LSPs when I want that extra pop (I`ve been using synthetic products like DG105 and FMJ).

However, today at Autogeek I saw the glaze product description:

"Menzerna Finishing Glaze is a true glaze because it has no abrasives or solvents, just oils and fillers. The oils enrich the paint to create that elusive wet look. The filler in Menzerna Finishing Glaze is Kaolin clay, which settles into fine swirls to create the illusion of smooth paint. Wax seals in the clay filler to keep it in place until you either remove the swirls or reapply glaze and wax.

Menzerna Finishing Glaze has no corrective properties but it will remove old wax and even out the paint’s gloss. Old wax or product residues can create a patchy or cloudy shine but Menzerna Finishing Glaze evens out the paint surface so light reflects evenly."

So, from what I see here, there aren`t any solvents. Does this mean it won`t remove a synthetic wax/sealant like DG105 or FMJ?

It does say it will remove "wax" -- should I assume they mean carnauba?

From all this information it seems that the only way to top this product is with carnauba, since synthetic waxes will not be able to bond w/ the paint due to the oils and such in the glaze.

So if I use it to fill in swirls every now and then, is this going to remove my synthetic LSP?

I think I understand that I will have to top it w/ carnauba, and so there will be some protection, but I don`t want to remove the LSP I have on my car at present just to add that "glaze" look.

Any advice or wisdom would be appreciated!!

:hairpull

One of my cars is black and keeping it looking good is a real chore. Other than polishing it regularly with the Menzerna products and then applying either a carnuba or a sealant like Zaino, I was searching for a quick cure. I tried some glazes and the results were so so. Someone on this forum recommended the Menzerna glaze followed by FMJ and I gave it a shot. I applied it using a finishing pad on my PC at a speed of 6. I am amazed as to how well it hides the minor clear coat micro marring. I really have no idea as to how durable the combination of the Menzerna glaze and FMJ is going to be but for appearance it is great.

ZeroDfx
08-22-2007, 04:42 PM
I use the Menzerna FPII followed by FTG then sealed with FMJ on my black 97 BMW 540 and I love the final appearance. For sprucing it up occasionally I follow a wash with Menzerna High Gloss Acrylic Spray and it`s like bringing back the gloss of the FMJ.

I`m guessing that if you get to the point where you are inclined to want to hit it again with the glaze,I`d do it; (in fact I may just try it over the next week or two to see what happens when I recover from my surprise appendectomy). So even if it "melts or strips" the FMJ, that goes on/off just as easily as the FTG and you`d be back to where you want to be.

Let us know what you try; I`ll be curious to know.

Nick