PDA

View Full Version : Why strip wax

mnguyen110
08-22-2007, 01:51 AM
Hi everyone, my question is why do people want to strip off wax with dawn or ipa/h2o? What is everybodys process on monthly waxing? Do i just put a layer of wax on every monthly or do I have to prep it first? I clayed & polished about three ago and just want to maintain the black paint.

jshillin
08-22-2007, 05:43 AM
A lot of it depends on what you are using, wax, polish, sealant, etc... More information please...

deathlok
08-22-2007, 06:49 AM
they strip everything in order to make a clean start.

mnguyen110
08-22-2007, 10:28 AM
So after a full detail, i should wax every month but is it ok to just wash and wax every month or do I wash, prep, then wax

deathlok
08-22-2007, 11:04 AM
after a full detail is ok to wax every month. (you may also clay some spots). after some time (6 months or more you should make once again a full detail (polish :P:P:P) and then you may want to strip all the wax from your car.

Cassman
08-22-2007, 11:07 AM
So after a full detail, i should wax every month but is it ok to just wash and wax every month or do I wash, prep, then wax

It is ok to just wash and wax every month. You only have to do a full prep when and if you feel the results after a wash and wax are not up to your standards.

Accumulator
08-22-2007, 11:47 AM
While it is good to do the clean-start thing now and then, I go a *long* time with nothing more than a gentle claying with Sonus green before refreshing my LSPs.

mnguyen110
08-22-2007, 12:55 PM
for the next full detail, if I wash, clay, and polish; do I need to strip the wax beforehand or should the polish take care to that. Thanks guys for the info

Accumulator
08-22-2007, 01:00 PM
for the next full detail, if I wash, clay, and polish; do I need to strip the wax beforehand or should the polish take care to that...

The polish will almost always just cut right through what`s on there now. If (big "if") you get gummed pads or some residue issues, then use the IPA mix to compromise the current LSP, but I wouldn`t bother doing it unless it proves necessary.