PDA

View Full Version : Old Rims, need deep clean help...

Deadlock281
08-22-2007, 12:33 AM
I have some old wheels that are just covered in the usual road and brake "gunk." I want to clean these completely so that I can prime and paint them or send them off to be chromed (yes I know that most chrome places clean them for me). Is there a specific acid bath I need to use or would just a good old brush and soapy warm water do the trick?

Setec Astronomy
08-22-2007, 07:46 AM
I have used the acid from the Finish Kare decon kit (or you could use the equivalent from Auto International) and some scrubbing. Of course, an HF or ABF-based wheel cleaner will burn that brake dust right out.

Deadlock281
08-22-2007, 02:57 PM
I have used the acid from the Finish Kare decon kit (or you could use the equivalent from Auto International) and some scrubbing. Of course, an HF or ABF-based wheel cleaner will burn that brake dust right out.

Could I get those at either Autozone, Advanced Auto Parts, Oreillys, or Lowes?? Those are the only stores in my town.

Setec Astronomy
08-22-2007, 03:04 PM
Sometimes you can get some HF/ABF wheel cleaner at an auto parts store--I saw some Black Magic wheel cleaner like that at Target once. Just be aware that the HF/ABF wheel cleaners carry some hazards. I`d go to AZ or Advanced (not familiar with O`Reilly`s) and describe your problem and see what they recommend, or perhaps a member who knows the stock of those stores (I don`t) can recommend something.

mikebai1990
08-22-2007, 08:00 PM
Check out Eagle One Tire/Wheel Cleaner. It`s a pretty strong cleaner for an OTC product.

300B
08-22-2007, 08:04 PM
Check out Eagle One Tire/Wheel Cleaner. It`s a pretty strong cleaner for an OTC product.

I find Meg`s wheel cleaner to be even more potent with a more acidic smell.

Setec Astronomy
08-22-2007, 08:08 PM

That will not remove etched-in brake dust, even with scrubbing. An acid is needed which will actually dissolve the brake dust.

Deadlock281
08-22-2007, 10:59 PM
Thanks for all the helpful advice guys, but I`m actually going to go to a radiator shop tomorrow and ask them if they could dip my wheels in their acid tanks, that`d probably be the best way to get them as clean as possible.

Setec Astronomy
08-23-2007, 06:38 AM
Thanks for all the helpful advice guys, but I`m actually going to go to a radiator shop tomorrow and ask them if they could dip my wheels in their acid tanks, that`d probably be the best way to get them as clean as possible.

Wow, way to think outside the box!

Deadlock281
08-23-2007, 07:53 PM
Yeah I went there today, but the guy wouldn`t do it because the paint would through off the balance of the chemicals in his tank so I went up to NAPA and they sold me some paint stripper and that stuff is WORKING! the second i brushed it on the paint started bubbling and coming off. But since this particular wheel had 4+ layers of paint/primer/rust converter i`m stripping it several times. I`m letting it sit over night and tomorrow after I get my oil changed and my radiator flushed I`m taking it to a car wash place and I`ll pressure wash it all off. The guy at NAPA told me that i could also have someone sandblast it off but for some reason he said no one would probably do it because of how hot it was (no idea why he said that).

LISTEN UP, anyone else who wants to do the same thing as me be sure to brush the stripper in the same direction, DON`T CROSS BRUSH. This way the stripper is more effective.

Setec Astronomy
08-23-2007, 08:23 PM
I think I misunderstood your original post. If I had realized you wanted to go down to the metal I wouldn`t have been talking about acid wheel cleaners, I would have mentioned chemical strippers or some sort of bead blasting. I have no idea why the heat would be an issue with blasting, it`s usually done in a cabinet so it`s not like the guy has to wear some sort of protective suit that would be hot.