PDA

View Full Version : How can I stop hard water spotting?

imported_RedlineIRL
08-21-2007, 10:04 PM
Unfortunately the crappy city water I have is hard, and it`ll spot if I don`t catch it quick enough. I was looking at the MR.Clean wash kits, not to wash with but to use the nozzle with the filter. Since it supposedly prevents water spotting. Is there anything I can attach between the outside faucet and the hose line to soften of possibly filter the water so I don`t have to worry about this at all?

wannafbody
08-21-2007, 10:49 PM
you can wipe down the finish with Duragloss Water Spot Remover after washing

imported_RedlineIRL
08-21-2007, 11:45 PM
you can wipe down the finish with Duragloss Water Spot Remover after washing

I didn`t know that existed, looks like it would do the trick.

I`d really like to prevent hard water from actully getting on my car in the first place, instead of having to clean it afterwards. I thought I remeber seeing a filter that attaches befre the hose somehwere a while back, but I don`t remember where. Do you all know what I`m taking about?

stiffdogg06
08-22-2007, 12:19 AM
Yes, there are water filters that connect to the water hose line.

ZoranC
08-22-2007, 01:27 AM
Be ready to shell out mucho bucks when using such systems.

stiffdogg06
08-22-2007, 01:49 AM
I don`t know if you need it. But maybe your house water filtering system needs replaced...

Now those cost 3-6k. :nervous:

imported_RedlineIRL
08-22-2007, 08:41 PM
I don`t know if you need it. But maybe your house water filtering system needs replaced...

Now those cost 3-6k. :nervous:

The outside faucets are not connected to the filtering system.

Here`s what I was looking for: Clear Inline Hose Filter Canister and Accessories (http://www.autogeek.net/clinhofianda.html) Only $80, not too bad. I was just wondering if anyone has used them to say if the are any good or not. I may just give it try and find out myself.

Eliot Ness
08-22-2007, 09:40 PM
DF Concours, who make the DF Concours towels, is also selling filter packages that might be worth looking at:

Dominique France Motorsports order page (http://www.dftowel.com/orderfilter.html)

FWIW, I bought one of the Mr. Clean guns just for the filtering, but was not too impressed. It works fine at filtering the water, but it is a hassle to use because when filtering the water output is very low. The large gun is also a hassle that tends to leak, and the cartridges are expensive and not rechargeable. If your water is very bad you might want to try the dual filter systems offered by DF or AG.

clnfrk
08-22-2007, 10:51 PM
Use deionized water, which is a total spot free system as opposed to soft water, which still have some minerals that will leave spots. With DI water you can literally let the car dry on it`s own. I rent tanks from a local supplier at $125 per tank for a maximum of 6 months. When the tank is exhausted, I just bring it back for a fresh one, but for another $125, however I only use the deionized water for the final rinse.

ZoranC
08-23-2007, 12:22 AM
DF Concours, who make the DF Concours towels, is also selling filter packages that might be worth looking at

This is very resonable!

Eliot Ness
08-31-2007, 07:12 AM
DF Concours, who make the DF Concours towels, is also selling filter packages that might be worth looking at:

Dominique France Motorsports order page (http://www.dftowel.com/orderfilter.html)

..........................Just an FYI for anyone looking to buy a water filter system...... DF Concours is currently having a 30% off Labor Day sale now through Sept. 7.

I`ve been thinking about a filter system for a couple of years now, so this looks like a great time to buy one.

Setec Astronomy
08-31-2007, 07:32 AM
The outside faucets are not connected to the filtering system.

So you are saying that you have a water softener in your house? Let me tell you about my situation. I also have a water softener, but of course the normal thing is to not soften the water to the outside faucets because you use them for watering the lawn, hosing down the driveway, pressure washing the house, and...oh yeah...washing the car.

So, as I became "Autopiated", I really became aware of water spotting, and I got the (piece of junk) Mr. Clean system. After not too long I decided I needed a real DI system, and bought a CRSpotless. That was pretty nice, but it was a bit of a pain rolling it in and out of the garage every session, hooking and unhooking all the time when washing multiple cars, etc., not to mention the refill of the cartridges.

Eventually, I would spend long periods wistfully staring at the close proximity of my water softener piping to the the driveway faucet piping in my basement, dreaming of repiping to get soft water outside. I`m accumulating valves and fittings and working up the gumption to do it, since it`s not very straightforward due to some access problems with the faucet because of a laundry room added later (I could get a plumber, but I`m always worried it won`t come out the way I want it).

In the meantime I have been running a hose outside from the basement sink, and it`s a lot nicer washing with soft water. Minimal spotting, better sudsing. Someday I`ll get my repiping done. My intent is to use a 3-way valve to switch between soft and hard at the faucet, with a center off. Of course, it can be done with 2 2-way (shutoff) valves. It`s something you might want to look into if you think your desire for outside soft water will be long-term; it will likely be cheaper and save a lot of time in the long run.

HansB
08-31-2007, 07:43 AM
Eventually, I would spend long periods wistfully staring at the close proximity of my water softener piping to the the driveway faucet piping in my basement, dreaming of repiping to get soft water outside.

Me too! I`m having it done next week. Finally I`ll be able to wash my car at home.