PDA

View Full Version : How Long to Wait B4 Polishing New Paint?

warlockid
08-21-2007, 06:34 PM
I have a `91 Camaro that a client wants polished up. He had it painted white with blue pearl flake about a month ago and had two coats of clear applied. How soon is too soon to put some polish and sealer down on it? My plan was to use SIP or FP via PC and LC CCS blue or White, NB, then OS. Any suggestions?

Stratous
08-21-2007, 06:55 PM
Our shop recommends 6 weeks to honor a life-time warrantee.

I would say push 2 months to be safe.

Also look the car over really well for "solvent pop" before waxing for the first time...They look like TINY little air bubbles that popped in the clear. They will need to be wet-sanded out.

GlossyTundra
08-21-2007, 07:39 PM
I had my truck repainted and polished/compounded the very next day after it was baked. Paint guy told me as long as what I used for a wax does not have silicones in it, it was safe to use. I talked with David at Optimum and Sal at Zaino, and both of their products (OCW, Z5PRO) were safe on fresh paint.

az57chevy
08-21-2007, 11:33 PM
Minimum of 45 days during the summer. Longer in colder climates

the other pc
08-22-2007, 01:10 AM
I had my truck repainted and polished/compounded the very next day after it was baked. Paint guy told me as long as what I used for a wax does not have silicones in it, it was safe to use. ....Goes to shows how clueless most painters are. A wax doesn’t have to have silicones to interfere with solvent outgassing. Paint manufacturers recommend against waxing until the finish is fully cured, the time varies from paint system to paint system.

Here’s the thread where mirrorfinishman posted the responses he got from paint companies: http://autopia.org/forum/car-detailing/64978-paint-cure-time-not-necessary-2.html

PC.