PDA

View Full Version : Interesting article on M-B Paints

Low Tech
08-20-2007, 01:55 PM
I`m not a professional detailer, but I thought I`d share what I found to be an interesting article on Mercedes-Benz paints:

Automotive Engineer PLUS - Materials (http://www.ae-plus.com/Key%20topics/kt-materials8.htm)

Thought you pros might find it to be of interest!

kapinnn
08-20-2007, 03:04 PM
While it`s known in Autopia that MB uses this ceramic technology since 2004 I had never read an article about it.

Thank you for the valuable info! It`s always best to approach a new customer with lots of knowledge.

Scottwax
08-20-2007, 05:42 PM
Thanks but that is some pretty old news. ;)

If you see a "C" in front of the 3 digit paint code on a Mercedes, you know it has the CeramiClear paint.

coscooper
08-20-2007, 08:21 PM
Well, I knew about the tech, but have never read such an incredibly insightful article, so I found it interesting. I`m becoming a pro-detailer with my business and it now explains why my CSL black paint is in such great condition after a year. 2 minor scratch/swipes near the truck due to luggage, and they came right out. So, 1 year and the paint looks flawless.

Low Tech
08-21-2007, 07:09 AM
I must say that the M-B paint is different (read: Better) than on my BMW`s. I`m in the process of doing a ground-up detail on my new M-B, and, so far, the results are fascinating.

I`m using the same products (KAIO, KSG+Polycharger x2) and it looked deeper just with these steps. I`ve now added Danase Wet Glaze on the KSG and got the :wow: factor. (Compared to the BMW w/ same process/products)

So I thought the difference on a black BMW vs. black Merc, must be the paint. I did some research and came across this article.

(Not to hijack, but...) Now my problem is what to top the Danase Wet Glaze with. My options are another layer of KSG w/ PolyCharger, P21S, or Souveran. I want to preserve the look of WetGlaze and add durability)

I might go crazy and do another KSG, then another Wet Glaze, then Carnauba... Hmmm...

kapinnn
08-21-2007, 07:52 AM
do the glaze, KSG x2, and top with souveran. That car is too nice to leave at 1 layer of KSG... :D

Low Tech
08-21-2007, 04:02 PM
Kapinn - I did just what you recommended. Total process (over 4 days) was:

1. KAIO w/ PC

2. KSG w/ PC

3. KSG by Hand

4. Danase Wet Glaze by Hand

5. KSG x 2 by hand (light coats)

6. Souveran

Awesone results!! The DWG really made a difference. No pics yet - very cloudy/rainy here.

On a go-forward basis, I will use 425 as a QD (primarily for dust reduction) and occassional coats of Souveran. Was wondering if, in the future, I can just do the DWG on top of the whole concoction and either Souveran or KSG+Souveran?

Many thanks for the advice!