PDA

View Full Version : Ozone air cleaner thing

Pages : [1] 2 3

baseballlover1
08-20-2007, 10:42 AM
Has anyone used this? Does it really work? I was looking at my uncles truck yesterday. And he is THE WORST smoker youve ever seen. there ciggerette ash everywhere, ciggerette butts and everything. He has basically is a billion dollars but doesnt see the reasons to own anything more expensive then a GMC truck that is TRASHED!!!! Like the paint is horrible and everything. Next time i see him ile take some pics of his truck. Anyway, In a year or two he might be giving his truck to me as a business gift ( i explained what my vision was about owning a detailing company, and everyone in my family with exception to my grandma, who couldnt hear, supported me fully). I was wondering if the ozone machine would get the smoking smell completely out if left in there for a few hours and all.

BlackElantraGT
08-20-2007, 01:26 PM
You really NEED to pay more attention to school than worry about detailing supplies and what not. This is at the least the 2nd time you`ve mispelled "I`ll" with "ile". Sorry, I don`t want to rain on anyone`s parade but you`re young, immature, and your reading/writing comprehension isn`t even at the level it should be. You should be in summer school, not out trying to start a detailing business. No one is ever going to take you seriously. You can`t even drive a car legally yet for God`s sake!

BobD
08-20-2007, 01:41 PM
The ozone machine works very well but you really have to know how to use one properly. It can react with certain cleaners and and chemicals in the interior and bleach colors.

imported_dirtdiggler
08-20-2007, 01:52 PM
easy now.. he could be the tiger woods of detailing.

dirt diggler

mcc
08-20-2007, 04:38 PM
You really NEED to pay more attention to school than worry about detailing supplies and what not. This is at the least the 2nd time you`ve mispelled "I`ll" with "ile". Sorry, I don`t want to rain on anyone`s parade but you`re young, immature, and your reading/writing comprehension isn`t even at the level it should be. You should be in summer school, not out trying to start a detailing business. No one is ever going to take you seriously. You can`t even drive a car legally yet for God`s sake!

Good grief man, don`t you have something better to do than follow the kid around and criticize him. How can you say that you don`t want to rain on anyone`s parade and then call him immature, question his reading/writing skills, and then tell him that nobody will take him seriously. If he truly is getting some business at this point, he is far ahead of where most of us were at his age. Rather than wasting his life playing video games, getting involved in the garbage some kids do, he is trying to do something productive. How can you knock someone for that, especially at 14? I know a lot of adults that can`t claim to be able to have goals or do much productive, yet here we have a kid doing so and you have nothing better to do than follow him around and bash him. If you don`t like the way he spells, then move on. If you see his name as the starter of the thread, don`t click it.

Now to the question at hand. I`ll actually try to help you rather than mock your writing skills. Ozone generators are very useful machines, however they alone won`t do the trick. If the smell is from cigarette smoke, then you will first need to thoroughly detail the inside, as the resultant film will be on everything. Clean every surface you can, then run the ozone generator in it. You first have to eliminate the source of the smell that you can take care of yourself, and then let the ozone do its thing.

jmorton10
08-20-2007, 07:22 PM
Ozone generators are very useful machines, however they alone won`t do the trick. If the smell is from cigarette smoke, then you will first need to thoroughly detail the inside, as the resultant film will be on everything. Clean every surface you can, then run the ozone generator in it. You first have to eliminate the source of the smell that you can take care of yourself, and then let the ozone do its thing.

I agree, I have an $800 ozone machine & it will definitely NOT remove the smoke smell all by itself.

~John

David Fermani
08-20-2007, 09:08 PM
I agree, I have an $800 ozone machine & it will definitely NOT remove the smoke smell all by itself.

~John

John is right. You must completely clean the interior prior to ozoning it. Most of the smell is in the headliner and unfortunately they are touchy to clean. If the person want`s 100% of the smell out of the vehicle, start by cleaning it and replacing the headliner before ozoning it. I`ve done many of these treatments to know it`s true limits without cleaning 1st.

Tronix
08-20-2007, 09:43 PM
I`ve used an o-zone machine at my dealership with water leak carsm, and all of the above is true. It won`t work unless all the surfaces are clean...

salty
08-21-2007, 12:55 PM
John is right. You must completely clean the interior prior to ozoning it. Most of the smell is in the headliner and unfortunately they are touchy to clean. If the person want`s 100% of the smell out of the vehicle, start by cleaning it and replacing the headliner before ozoning it. I`ve done many of these treatments to know it`s true limits without cleaning 1st.

True that.

I have cleaned smoke without one, including the headliner shampooed. Probably removed about 95% of the smell. I always tell the customer about the possibility of the headliner letting go. Never had a problem yet.

I have had three ozone generators over the years and they are not all the same. Some take many hours to work, others can shock the interior in minutes.

As Danase said they can react with certain chemicals. I did a Z28 a few years ago that was in storage and mice got in. I found 13 dead mice as i dismantled the interior. Throughly cleaned everything with a disinfectant and them fired up the ozone. After about ten minutes i looked in and seen purple "i will describe as smoke" coming out of the machine. I turned off and aired out. Scratched my head a few minutes and them tried again. No purple smoke this time. It must have oxidized the cleaners. No damage was done.

The mice smell was gone. He was going to sell the car, 10 years old with 25000 miles. He ended up keeping it. Next time i would tell him to make an insurance claim first.

KnuckleBuckett
09-01-2007, 05:19 PM
Folks.

Bad news. Ozone is bad news for nearly everything it comes into contact with. I work in a gasseous emissions control laboratory and we take O3 very seriously. It has been proven to cause premature aging in test subjects. I have no stake in this, but I will advise you avoid inhaling ozone whenever possible.

Ozone also ruins leathers, plastics, rubber, graphites, and pretty much anything else that is not 316 stainless or PTFE (Teflon) based. It is naturally occuring, however many natural substances are health hazzards.

However ozone is great for various forms of plant life. For example check the color of your lawn after a nice long lightning storm.

David Fermani
09-01-2007, 06:50 PM
Interesting, but scary info.

roccoc12001
09-01-2007, 07:25 PM
kid if you like doing car just do them i bet your a better detailer than blackelantaGT and i would put money on it i would like to see you and him do a car and we will vote winner takes 100.00 and bragging right

DaGonz
09-01-2007, 11:14 PM
Folks.

Bad news. Ozone is bad news for nearly everything it comes into contact with. I work in a gasseous emissions control laboratory and we take O3 very seriously. It has been proven to cause premature aging in test subjects. I have no stake in this, but I will advise you avoid inhaling ozone whenever possible.

Ozone also ruins leathers, plastics, rubber, graphites, and pretty much anything else that is not 316 stainless or PTFE (Teflon) based. It is naturally occuring, however many natural substances are health hazzards.

However ozone is great for various forms of plant life. For example check the color of your lawn after a nice long lightning storm.

Ozone (aka O3) is also a potent oxidizer that will support combustion of anything flammable and/or combustible.

We have a water treatment plant in my community that uses O3 as part of the water purification process. If we as firefighters go into an O3 atmosphere, we do it using self contained breathing apparatus (SCBA) and the turnout gear and uniform clothing the firefighter is wearing has to be "aired out" for at least 24 hours, as it easily becomes saturated by O3, making it dangerous to enter a building on fire.

NickelPlated.45
09-02-2007, 01:43 PM
"There is evidence to show that at concentrations that do not exceed public health standards, ozone is not effective at removing many odor-causing chemicals."

Ozone Generators that are Sold as Air Cleaners | Publications | Indoor Air | Air | US EPA (http://www.epa.gov/iaq/pubs/ozonegen.html)

NickelPlated.45
09-02-2007, 01:44 PM
And if you want to get the smell out of something, you have to properly clean it then let it air out. Anything else it just masking the smell.