PDA

View Full Version : New surfaces for me... a couple of questions.

Adam's Polishes
08-20-2007, 10:06 AM
I`m coming up on a job where the vehicle has some areas painted with a flat black/matte black paint and I am completely unfamiliar with how to treat them. Any experience or suggestions is appreciated. I can guess that polishing w/ the PC probably isnt` a good idea.

2nd on the questions list today: I`m going to be having my stock wheels powdercoated and I`ve never really had to care for powder coat before... should I just treat it like a painted surface?? Will my current wheel sealants work (Rejex specifically)?

Thanks for any and all help guys. :2thumbs:

Accumulator
08-20-2007, 02:49 PM
I`m coming up on a job where the vehicle has some areas painted with a flat black/matte black paint and I am completely unfamiliar with how to treat them. Any experience or suggestions is appreciated. I can guess that polishing w/ the PC probably isnt` a good idea...

This might be worth a search as we`ve discussed it a few times. Some of these paints won`t shine up if you polish them but others will...risky to generalize. But, uhm generally speaking :o you can use non/mildly abrasive cleaners and glazes/LSPs without them shining up too much (they usually get a sheen but that`s about it). But since it`s risky to generalize you`d better try a tiny little spot first. Been forever since I (or any of my friends) have dealt with this and all I know comes from 1970s technology..and things have changed a lot since then.

2nd on the questions list today: I`m going to be having my stock wheels powdercoated and I`ve never really had to care for powder coat before... should I just treat it like a painted surface?? Will my current wheel sealants work (Rejex specifically)?

The only differences I`ve ever noticed between powdercoated wheels and painted ones is that powdercoating can`t be touched up and (IME, this might not be true in general) it`s too hard to do any correction on (so don`t mess `em up :D ).