PDA

View Full Version : Tire Browning

Ern
08-19-2007, 02:54 PM
Can someone tell me what causes it? Can certain products cuase it? My hhr has it and its brand new?

zingyginger
08-19-2007, 03:08 PM
The tires are designed by the manufacturers to do that to prolong the life of the tire. It`s from wax coming to the surface of the tires to protect them from oxidizing (it`s called "blooming"). It occurs more when the tires are new and if strong cleaners are used. Using mild car wash shampoo on tires and applying tire dressings containing UV blocking agents and anti-ozonants (but without petroleum distillates) would help.

See post no. 4 in this thread:

http://autopia.org/forum/car-detailing/17923-solvent-base-vs-water-base.html

Whatever you do, *don`t* use Westley`s Bleche Wite as you run the risk of prematurely ageing your tires. "It removes the carbon black (your tires` built-in sunscreen and anti-ozonant) from the sidewalls of the tires, and will give them a dull, gray, washed out look over time." See post no. 14:

http://autopia.org/forum/car-detailing/29540-constant-browning-tires-2.html

Bigpoppa3346
08-19-2007, 03:10 PM
Any tire will turn brown over time. Keep them clean and dress them at every wash with a water-based dressing and they will stay looking as good as possible.

Brian_Brice
08-19-2007, 03:55 PM
That`s really strange, I use wbw on occasion and have never experienced browning whatsoever. I`ve seen it on customers tires but never really knew what caused it. i don`t like using bleche white for another reason though, my old partner that i wanted to become a detailer sprays that stuff on every part of a vehicle. Paint, chrome, rubber, plastic, glass, you name it, whenever i see him out and about, (tearing up citizens cars) the first thing i notice is two or three wbw bottles on the ground next to him. That`s why i don`t like it lol.

Crusader101
08-19-2007, 03:57 PM
I used to experience significant browning when I used ArmorAll but since switching to Megs Hyperdressing, the problem seems to have abated.

Bigpoppa3346
08-19-2007, 04:05 PM
I used to experience significant browning when I used ArmorAll but since switching to Megs Hyperdressing, the problem seems to have abated.

Which Armor All were you using?

The "Origional", milky colored dressing or one of their other ones?

Bythehour
08-19-2007, 04:46 PM
I used the original AA, which browned the tires.

So did the aerosol can (No Touch?) stuff from Costco.

Megs Endurance works great for me. Very durable as well (application once per month).

Ern
08-19-2007, 07:08 PM
Is there a difference between megs indurance and megs hot shine? Both gels?

Crusader101
08-19-2007, 07:38 PM
Which Armor All were you using?

The "Origional", milky colored dressing or one of their other ones?

Yes, it was the original, milky type stuff. It was also beginning to turn my interior trim a hazy brown and that`s when I stopped using it. I don`t know what their newer dressings are like. :confused:

Bigpoppa3346
08-19-2007, 07:42 PM
Well, it is a good thing I read this, as I almost picked up a gallon of AA today!

I have the 32 oz. bottle and have been using it on tires. It has only been on for a couple days so I don`t know how the tire will look in a week or so.

Ern
08-19-2007, 08:51 PM
Is there a difference between megs indurance and megs hot shine? Both gels?

Bumping this as I dont wanna start a new thread tho I may have too.

protojason
08-19-2007, 09:17 PM
Bumping this as I dont wanna start a new thread tho I may have too.

Check out this thread for pics of the products in question. Hot shine is a cinch to apply, aerosol form....The endurance gel that smells like grape, is messier in my opinion, but just apply with tires swipes, etc.

I prefer the last pic shown.

http://autopia.org/forum/detailing-product-discussion/84139-tire-finish-not-high-gloss-5.html?highlight=matte+finish+tire

post 51.

--jason