PDA

View Full Version : Time to start all over again, I hate this.

RJJ
08-19-2007, 10:39 AM
Finally mastered the art of applying the Klasse twins on our cars with incredible results and now I find myself a rank novice again with a new rv (only 240 payments left!:help: ) ; gel coated glass body and crackled fiberglass roof. A search helped somewhat but I remain confused, so here are the questions:

Is clay ok?

Do the foam pads, micro pads and towels work as well on fiberglass as they do on metal?

Some posts suggest that a ro may not work and state that a rotary is best, I am presuming that on a brand new rv the random will be ok??

And, while I have never topped sg with anything, how about on fiberglass?

Tnks in advance to anyone who can help an `old` newbie out.

By the way, just what is gelcoat???

imported_Lightman
08-19-2007, 11:41 AM
I am also interested to hear some answers to this as I just got a new boat and am not sure where to start either..the outside is gelcoat and topdeck your typical fiberglass. I`m all ears!

steck
08-19-2007, 12:53 PM
gel coat = enigma

imported_Jakerooni
08-19-2007, 08:28 PM
Umm yea..... OK time for a little education.. Here`s what I know

No Foam pads and RO`s will not work on Gelcoats. You need a good rotary and a pure wool pad. You also can`t use normal automotive wax and cleaners on gelcoats. You have to go and get stuff made specifically for gelcoats. Meguiars make a very good over the counter line. Google "RV and Boat care" and you will learn just a ton of solid information on proper care of Gelcoats. They are a complete and total pain in the back end though if you ask me. If there`s anything more specific ask away and I`ll let you know what I can.

imported_Puckman
08-19-2007, 08:40 PM
I think I remember reading a while ago that gel coat paint is applied in the mold so when they fabricate the hull the paint is bonded to it automatically. Don`t know if my memory or interpretation of what I read is accurate though.

RJJ
08-21-2007, 04:30 PM
Puckman, you are indeed correct; I just learned the same from a boat building website, tnks.

Jakerooni, would you venture a guess as to what would happen if one used foam and a ro, swirls?

The Klasse bottles AIO/SG state the products can be used on fiberglass would your concern be gel coated fiberglass as opposed to painted fiberglass?

imported_themightytimmah
08-21-2007, 06:20 PM
Gel coats are vicious... they are much tougher and thicker than BC/CC paints. A RO and foam pads can be used for waxing, but you will achieve zero correction... even HTEC on wool has a hard time to remove gelcoat swirls and oxidation.

If you keep up at it from brand new, you can get away with using a PC, orange pad, and cleaner wax (I like Collinite`s). If it dulls, fades or spots deeply, a rotary, wool, and gelcoat specific polishes will be necessary. When I detailed aircraft, we used to use M66 on the new planes and it worked fine - it just didn`t remove anything beyond surface grime.