PDA

View Full Version : ???`s on rotaries

joyriide1113
06-14-2005, 08:35 PM
im under the impression that a rotary is real difficult to use. i have a makita circular polisher but havent even took it out of its box because i dont have a car to practice on. are rotaries easier to use on flat surfaces like hoods, trunk lids, ect, more than it would be the front fender my my mini cooper. there are donts of areas of cars that seem real hard to tackle with a pc, let alone a rotary. for example, the section where the license plate is and the front bumper, mirrors, ect...

comments please!!!!!!

scottabi
06-14-2005, 10:55 PM
I think your impression is wrong :D Rotaries are really not that hard to get used to. It takes time and practice. Some pads such as the edge rotary pads you can get into some tight spots by with the edges.When learning Flat surfaces are a breeze compared to vertical panels in my book. Use caution and common sense and you will be just fine.

Mikeyzr
06-15-2005, 07:11 AM
I agree with scottabi. Rotaries are easy and fun to use. Get a junkyard hood are your buddy`s beater car and practice on the hood. Start around 1000 RPM`s to get the feel for it with a polishing pad and some SSR 1 or very light abrasive. In no time, you`ll feel in total control and slinging product from your orange pad doing wonders on oxidized and swirled paint. It is really amazing what they can do. Take your time and you wont have any problems!! :dancin

Mike

klnyc
06-15-2005, 07:57 AM
Rotary arent really that bad as you heard or seen. You be okay on you Mini Coop..use a foam pad and practice on it. Just keep on moving, try not to stay too long in one spot. Good luck.

joyriide1113
06-15-2005, 11:23 AM

J.J.
06-15-2005, 11:36 AM
They`re not the demons everyone makes them out to be. I think if you practiced with it a little, you would wonder why you didn`t begin sooner.

JJ

AspenF150
06-16-2005, 01:45 AM
I have a Makita 9227c rotary and love it. I agree with the others. Common sense, keep the rotary moving, pad flat to the surface and don`t move the buffer back and forth widly back and forth.

Make sure you wear clothes and that you don`t really care about. 2 reasons, if you happen to lean on your paintwork, your clothes won`t hurt the paint and secondly, I think it`s safe to say I`ve slung my share of sling. Good luck and happy buffing,,,,98