PDA

View Full Version : looks like holograms??

Pages : [1] 2

rae61
08-18-2007, 05:28 PM
I finished polishing my 2001 black Tahoe with Meg`s fine cut cleaner and followed up with Meg`s machine glaze 3 using a rotary polisher. All looks good But...... in the bright sun you can see what looks like a holograms deep in the finish, it almost looks 3D. They look like maybe swirll marks but you only can see them is the bright direct sun otherwise they are not visible. Not sure what I did but any information would be great.

Thanks

imported_GregCavi
08-18-2007, 05:32 PM
A 3d effect sounds like a hologram. I would break out the pc and a light polish to get rid of them, and perhaps skip the glaze as it will only fill in defects.

Greg

imported_smprince1
08-18-2007, 05:33 PM
Does it look like buffer trails left by the path of the rotary?

rae61
08-18-2007, 07:51 PM
Yes they look like they came from the polisher, half circles, not sure how I did it or best way to get rid of them.

Greg what kind of polish do you recomend?

Thanks,

Rae.

imported_smprince1
08-18-2007, 08:02 PM
Use a finishing polish, a light-cut polishing pad, and a PC.

PRB
08-19-2007, 01:56 PM
Rae61, the Fine Cut Cleaner is a bit too strong to use as your last step of polishing. That`s why you`re seeing what you`re seeing.

What pad did you use?

The Machine Glaze is just to add gloss. It has zero cut/cleaning ability, according to Meguiar`s and my personal experience.

If you`re partial to Meguiar`s products, try M80 Speed Glaze after the M02 Fine Cut. Use a DA-style machine if you have one. A rotary with Speed Glaze will generally leave you with fine hologramming since it does have some abrasives.

With a DA, it will help clear up the hologramming and finish ready to coat with wax or sealant.

If you`re using a rotary and want to go with Meguiar`s, they do have M82 Swirl Free Polish. It is much milder than the other two products. On some finishes, it will leave you without hologramming. It also works well with a DA, but it`s much milder than M80.

rae61
08-25-2007, 05:44 PM
PBR I tried the Meguiar`s swirl remover 2.0 with a Meguiar`s w9000 pad this has got rid of the hologram effect. That is good to know about the fine cut cleaner being to strong for the last step.

I will use the Machine Glaze with a DA from now on. Now that I have the holograms removed what would your suggestion be for the final steps? Rotary or DA and what

product.

Thanks,

Rae

wannafbody
08-25-2007, 09:51 PM
I`d suggest Megs 80 or Mothers Powerpolish to follow the #2 Fine Cut. #9 is extremely mild and has lots of oils that fill more than remove.

PRB
08-26-2007, 09:15 AM
So, you`ve used Swirl Remover and you`re happy with the look? If you`re certain that the polisher marks and swirls are gone, you could use the M03 to add some gloss. That step is purely optional.

If I had used M09 and was happy with results, I would go directly to applying some protection in the form of wax or paint sealant.

Apply by hand or with an orbital, DA, Porter Cable type of machine: your choice since it`s all about ease of application and consistent results.

Do you have any on the shelf right now? Make sure that the product is not a cleaner/wax: use a product that has no cleaning/abrasive abilities to put a coating over the work you have done.

imported_smprince1
08-26-2007, 09:27 AM
#9 is extremely mild and has lots of oils that fill more than remove.

I agree .... I gave away my bottle of #9 years ago.

PRB
08-26-2007, 09:36 AM
M09 is very mild. Where it seems to do best is on older finishes that can only stand or only need mild correction. It also does very well on some of these ridiculously sensitive new clears.

steck
08-26-2007, 11:46 AM
rae61...sounds like you need some serious `sit` time with these boards !! stick around, you will learn lots !!

you need your fundamentals down pat:

compounding step, finer polish step, maybe glaze step, and the LSP step.

research pads a bit they go along with these steps, know what colors do what !

and rotary usually used for the dirty work, and the DA or PC for the more final finesse work nearing you LSP.

you`ll get that black tahoe looking very nice !

wait just one sec...your using a rotary?! theres top shelf guys on here terrified of those things !!

rae61
08-26-2007, 01:02 PM
Yes, I do need more time on here. I have done lots of reading but there are always more questions and then when you get to doing it that leads to more, so thanks for all the help so far.

So this is where I`m at, 1) W7000 - M02 / W8000 - machine glaze / W8000 - M09...to remove holograms.

This is what I plan for my next steps 1) W8000 - M80 with DA / W9000 M20 polymer sealant with DA. If I understand your information correctly this will be a good way to finish?? Let me know what you think.

Steck, yes I am using a rotary I read lots about it`s use and the Hazards, I took my time and was very careful and so far so good but I have a long way to go with it. No burned paint yet...nock on wood, and yes it scares me too!!

Rae

PRB
08-26-2007, 03:24 PM
Step 1 is the polishing/cutting/cleaning step where you used M02 on the burgundy foam

This is your most aggressive step.

Step 2 is to refine the marks left by M02. For this you need a milder polish/cutting/abrasive product. In your example, that is M09 Swirl Remover.

Running Machine Glaze M03 before M09 is wasted time since M09 will remove every bit of the M03. M03 has no cut and is just for looks.

If you`re buying M80, you might be able to use it instead of M09. It is more abrasive than M09, but still finishes very nicely. This is your call as it varies by condition and user.

On the DA/Porter Cable, using M80 is good for ensuring that you removed the very last of your rotary hologramming.

rae61
08-27-2007, 06:35 PM
PBR,

Great info I thank you for all your help I will get a chance this week to finish off the Tahoe.

I will post a picture when I`m done.

Rae.:thx