PDA

View Full Version : first detail on CTS suggestions

jimmie jam
08-16-2007, 07:51 PM
i`m going to do the first "finish" detail on my CTS. car has 12k on it (05). the color is white diamond and is in good shape with little/no maring and only very, very light surface "scratches" (the car has been garage kept). i`m going to foam and clay first and then try my new RO 1000 on it. the question is: do i need to bother to "polish" the clear first? or just apply my wax? i`m not a pro so we are talking OTC products here. i`ve used IW 845 for over 3 decades and like NXT. maybe something like Megs finish restorer liquid or turtle wax`s light polishing compound first. any thoughts?

imported_themightytimmah
08-16-2007, 08:35 PM
I find that polishing first always adds gloss for me. If you want to go OTC, Meguiar`s #9 or #80 will definitely make a difference. Duragloss 671 will work too if you have a Carquest nearby.

jimmie jam
08-17-2007, 06:58 AM
i`m going to do the first "finish" detail on my CTS. car has 12k on it (05). the color is white diamond and is in good shape with little/no maring and only very, very light surface "scratches" (the car has been garage kept). i`m going to foam and clay first and then try my new RO 1000 on it. the question is: do i need to bother to "polish" the clear first? or just apply my wax? i`m not a pro so we are talking OTC products here. i`ve used IW 845 for over 3 decades and like NXT. maybe something like Megs finish restorer liquid or turtle wax`s light polishing compound first. any thoughts?

anyone else? please?:think:

felthove
08-17-2007, 09:34 AM
In order to assess the true condition of your paint I would first look it over w/ a 500W halogen light. I didn`t do this for the first 6 months I had my car and then realized its condition was much worse than I thought. Just because you cannot see all the scratches w/out a halogen light doesn`t mean they don`t drastically affect your car`s ability to reflect and shine. Depending on how it`s been washed and such (regardless of whether it`s been in a garage or not) you may have a lot of correction to do. It`s tough to tell from what you`ve given us.

azenthusiast
08-17-2007, 10:10 AM
In order to assess the true condition of your paint I would first look it over w/ a 500W halogen light. I didn`t do this for the first 6 months I had my car and then realized its condition was much worse than I thought. Just because you cannot see all the scratches w/out a halogen light doesn`t mean they don`t drastically affect your car`s ability to reflect and shine. Depending on how it`s been washed and such (regardless of whether it`s been in a garage or not) you may have a lot of correction to do. It`s tough to tell from what you`ve given us.

I`ll definitely agree with that. You will see scratches you never even knew were there under a halogen.