PDA

View Full Version : Long post about which products I need now.

hydro556
08-16-2007, 03:11 PM
Guys, I am just getting into this and need to add to the arsenal. Other than some OTC stuff, I have XMT 360, pad cleaner and conditioner to go along with LC orange, white, black and wool pads. I use these with my Makita 6040. I also have both mothers and megs clay kits. I am not real impressed with the megs clay but the mothers seems pretty effective. I am getting ready to place another order with AG and want to get the right products. I think I need another "dedicated" polish to use when the 360 is not enough. I also want to add some clay and finally a good all around LSP. Lastly do you guys think I would be well served to add to my pad collection? I havent felt limited by my pad selection yet but I am still getting the feel of things. I need all these products for general usage, but I do have a buddy with a late model Tundra(dark green) that wants me to detail it for him, including some swirl removal.

1- which clay is the "best value" in your opinion?

2- which polish would be good for me when the 360 doesnt do the trick? (or polishES)

3- I have been trying to decide on an LSP for a month now. I am confused when I hear people say "this one looks great but doesnt protect well". It seems to me if I use 360 or another good sealant under the LSP that durabililty of LSP wouldnt be that important, know what I mean? I dont really want to drop $90 for souveran, so what LSP is considered the best value. If my assumption from above is accurate(i.e. with a good sealant underneath, durability of LSP takes a back seat to looks of LSP) which LSP is easy to use and looks great?

4- as mentioned, I have LC orange, white, black and wool pads. Are these sufficient for a newbie, or is there a glaring deficiency?

A lot of questions, I know, but I want to be ready for my next detail. Especially on the polish selection as I want to be able to remove the swirls from the Tundra, My 360 makes every vehicle I do look great, but I havent had a lot of luck with swirls, though I admit to probably being over cautious.

mikebai1990
08-16-2007, 03:18 PM
1. I think the OTC Claymagic clay is the best value. Around $10 at Autozones.

2. Too many polish choices. I`d probably go for Optimum polishes.

3. Often putting a nice looking LSP on top of a durable sealant doesn`t produce as nice results as would be if you only used the LSP. If you are looking for good appearance, I`d probably consider Natty`s Blue/Red.

4. I think your pads are sufficient. Maybe have 2 of each (maybe even some more of the white pads) if you plan on doing polishing.

BigAl3
08-16-2007, 04:09 PM
1. I think the OTC Claymagic clay is the best value. Around $10 at Autozones.

2. Too many polish choices. I`d probably go for Optimum polishes.

agreed... :up

ZoranC
08-16-2007, 08:23 PM
Discussing on Autopia order you are planning to place at AG? Why not discuss it on AGO? Not to mention I wonder what would happen with thread on AGO that wants to discuss order that is about to be placed on ACC and how long it would take before that happens.

Junebug
08-17-2007, 06:44 AM
While I agree with Zoran - I can tell you that AG Forum is filled with AG shills - and only their stuff gets the "glowin" reviews. That`s what`s so great about Autopia - that kinda crap doesn`t happen here - there are too many people with different opinions and everybody gets heard. Back to the question at hand - Optimum is a good brand - and probably less confusing than others to decide what to use.

hydro556
08-17-2007, 06:46 AM
Discussing on Autopia order you are planning to place at AG? Why not discuss it on AGO? Not to mention I wonder what would happen with thread on AGO that wants to discuss order that is about to be placed on ACC and how long it would take before that happens.

Yet more valuable input to a thread by zoran. Thanks, your maturity is evident. Nice sentence structure as well, I can pretty well figure out what you mean after reading it only 3 or 4 times.:goodjob

hydro556
08-17-2007, 06:50 AM
While I agree with Zoran - I can tell you that AG Forum is filled with AG shills - and only their stuff gets the "glowin" reviews. That`s what`s so great about Autopia - that kinda crap doesn`t happen here - there are too many people with different opinions and everybody gets heard. Back to the question at hand - Optimum is a good brand - and probably less confusing than others to decide what to use.

I agree with your assertion about AG, but that is pretty common with internet forums. You have to kind of weed through the garbage, and try to determine what info is legit. That said, I have heard a lot of good reviews on Optimum, I will try either that, Poorboys or Menz. Thanks.

hydro556
08-17-2007, 06:59 AM

As to your question, "Why not discuss it on AG?". I posted the same topic on AG prior to posting it here. You must have missed that when compiling your research prior to your well thought out response.

ZoranC
08-17-2007, 10:45 PM
As to your question, "Why not discuss it on AG?". I posted the same topic on AG prior to posting it here. You must have missed that when compiling your research prior to your well thought out response.

Yes, I did not notice it, but that is irrelevant. Point is that this post, even though Autopia is much more openminded about it than AG is, was tacky at best.

ZoranC
08-17-2007, 10:52 PM
1- which clay is the "best value" in your opinion?

2- which polish would be good for me when the 360 doesnt do the trick? (or polishES)

3- I have been trying to decide on an LSP for a month now. I am confused when I hear people say "this one looks great but doesnt protect well". It seems to me if I use 360 or another good sealant under the LSP that durabililty of LSP wouldnt be that important, know what I mean? I dont really want to drop $90 for souveran, so what LSP is considered the best value. If my assumption from above is accurate(i.e. with a good sealant underneath, durability of LSP takes a back seat to looks of LSP) which LSP is easy to use and looks great?

4- as mentioned, I have LC orange, white, black and wool pads. Are these sufficient for a newbie, or is there a glaring deficiency?

1 - ClayMagic Blue is IMHO best middle ground.

2 - Menzerna is very fussy about conditions and process and can easily give headache to beginners. I would give a shot to Optimum Polish and Meguiar`s M80.

3 - IMHO current best value and best sealant is Ultima PPP. Also, from what I see once you put that on you don`t need wax.

4 - Sounds good enough.

hydro556
08-18-2007, 11:20 AM
Yes, I did not notice it, but that is irrelevant. Point is that this post, even though Autopia is much more openminded about it than AG is, was tacky at best.

LOL:chuckle:

hydro556
08-18-2007, 11:21 AM
1 - ClayMagic Blue is IMHO best middle ground.

2 - Menzerna is very fussy about conditions and process and can easily give headache to beginners. I would give a shot to Optimum Polish and Meguiar`s M80.

3 - IMHO current best value and best sealant is Ultima PPP. Also, from what I see once you put that on you don`t need wax.

4 - Sounds good enough.

Thanks, Zoran. Thats the kind of info I need.

hydro556
08-18-2007, 11:23 AM
Guys, the only order for non-OTC stuff I have made is through AG. Are there other sites I should check out for better values? I would like to be able to place a "package" order for the items being discussed in this thread, specifically.

ETA- I think AG is going over the top on restricting discussion of ANYTHING they dont sell. I am a member of many other sites that sell various product but they allow discussion of products they dont sell. By being so restrictive it makes it appear that you arent confident in your products quality. It is silly and makes me want to order elsewhere. I am a capitalist for sure, and respect AGs right to do what they want on their own site, but I dont want to spend my $ there. Look on the first page of their detailing forum and there are 2 posts today that they immediately locked simply because they are discussing products AG cant make money on. If there are other products on the market better than your product, either improve your product or start carrying the better product, dont try and censor it as if it doesnt exist. Sheesh.

phahn
08-18-2007, 08:06 PM
1)Clay Magic Blue, as others have said

2)poorboys SSR 2.5 and 1 will correct many issues and are super user-friendly, IMHO.

3)Duragloss 105 (apply PBA 601 beforehand to extend durability) - a good overall LSP, by my definition is durable and looks great. Apply Aquawax when you want to kick the shine up a notch.

4)have a couple orange and maybe 3 whites and you`ll be set

Hope this helps,

Pete