PDA

View Full Version : Wiper Arms Faded

jhorton
08-16-2007, 07:54 AM
My windshield wiper arms have started to fade from the weather. Is there anything I can use to clean them up to either make them look better or protect them?

BobD
08-16-2007, 07:58 AM
If they are sun faded you can use a trim restorer on them but it won`t last. I would just take them off and repaint them. I`ve done this on numberous vehicles. It`s fast and easy.

mikebai1990
08-16-2007, 09:07 AM
Yea, we have the same problem on our new 2005 Mazda minivan.. I`ve tried using 303 Aerospace, but as Danase said, it doesn`t last.

nwf_snake
08-16-2007, 09:34 AM
I recommend SEM trim paint. Just clean with a red scotchbrite pad and some Comet or Softscrub cleanser, dry, and paint.

Glossy McGlosserton
08-16-2007, 09:37 AM
Our Hondas have the same problems on trim and wiper arms. Z2Pro lasts better than most of the products intended for the problem, and Majestic Poly Shine is a relatively cheap solution that has done well. I get a couple of months of reasonable look from either.

Ta, Brandon, for the sample of Poly Shine.

MrAP
08-16-2007, 09:59 AM
I have a 94 Ford Ranger that I helped with a can of matte black Spray Paint. Looks decent and almost like the original look.

Since it is a painted surface, wouldn`t the usual wax/sealant used on the rest of the paintwork work just as well to protect it after repair/repaint?

AP

BobD
08-16-2007, 10:03 AM
I have a 94 Ford Ranger that I helped with a can of matte black Spray Paint. Looks decent and almost like the original look.

Since it is a painted surface, wouldn`t the usual wax/sealant used on the rest of the paintwork work just as well to protect it after repair/repaint?

AP

I wouldn`t wax anything that is flat or matte.

MrAP
08-16-2007, 10:07 AM
ok. why no wax?

What about sealant?

On the other newer vehicle we have, the wiper arms feel just like the rest of the paint-glossy and shiny and smooth. I was going to use the JW Prime Acrylic and Acrylic Jett on them. Is that a no-no?

Accumulator
08-16-2007, 01:36 PM
Yea, we have the same problem on our new 2005 Mazda minivan.. I`ve tried using 303 Aerospace, but as Danase said, it doesn`t last.

Interesting...our MPV has that problem too, it`s about the only one of our vehicles that I can`t just use regular LSP on...and it`s been garaged since new :nixweiss

I use AutoGlym Bumper Care on them. It lasts pretty long and the mild abrasive stuff in it helps clean off the inevitable oxidation. I use 303 for a lot of stuff too, but the AutoGlym gets my vote for this application so it might be worth trying (David is closing it out at the Autopia store, nice and cheap ;) ).

MRAP- Nothing wrong with that at all. That`s the same general approach I use on everything except the abovementioned MPV. Waxing satin/matte surfaces seldom does anything more than impart a slight sheen. Might shine `em up a bit, but I wouldn`t expect them to turn all glossy on you no matter what you use. Just use a product that doesn`t leave white staining on textured surfaces.

mikebai1990
08-16-2007, 01:49 PM
Accumulator, it seems to me that the MPV`s wiper arms aren`t painted with the proper paint or something. I`ve seen all other cars` and vans` wiper arms, and they`re all nice and slick with a layer of real paint. For example, on my dad`s friend`s car (2001 Acura TL), the wiper arms are painted with a very nice black paint that can be waxed over.

I just don`t understand why Mazda has to skimp on little things like this.. It detracts from the appearance greatly, especially when I start getting water spots :(

Paulie Walnuts
08-16-2007, 02:56 PM
If they are sun faded you can use a trim restorer on them but it won`t last. I would just take them off and repaint them. I`ve done this on numberous vehicles. It`s fast and easy.Hrm, interested. What kind of paint?

My arms are stained from crappy Megs APC and I would LOVE to get them one color again.

blinkbcr
08-16-2007, 03:03 PM
I have an `00 Acura and the arms were faded and I just took them off and used a scotchbrite pad like mentioned above and then used flat black enamel paint. Sprayed a few light coats and it made them look brand new again.

imported_truzoom
08-16-2007, 03:47 PM
I think the wiper arms on my F150 are painted, so I`ve had luck giving them a good polishing with some cleaner wax (Megs NXT did an awesome job). Usually brings them back to looking brand new.

I have also put dressing on them, but since it`s almost like leaving a film of oil on dull paint, water and sunlight quickly washes it away.

If you guys do end up doing resprays, you might want to invest in some duplicolor high temp paint since black wiper arms sitting out in the sun can probably get pretty hot.

Accumulator
08-16-2007, 06:43 PM
Accumulator, it seems to me that the MPV`s wiper arms aren`t painted with the proper paint or something...

I just don`t understand why Mazda has to skimp on little things like this.. It detracts from the appearance greatly, especially when I start getting water spots :(

They`re painted (I have a nasty to-the-metal chip in one of the front ones that lets me see what`s there), just with crappy stuff. To be honest, I find the build-quality of the MPV utterly atrocious...(I`ll spare you a lengthy list of examples why).

I hate to (as the saying goes) call our babies ugly, but IMO the MPV is one cheaply built vehicle. Which probably explains its low cost and relatively light weight, if you want to look on the bright side.

My other Mazdas (including the early `80s GLC that my wife put 125K miles on) were *MUCH* better built than my MPV, no comparison.

But hey, I still like it...for what it is.