PDA

View Full Version : Painter`s Tape question

TRD-22
08-15-2007, 08:01 PM
I just have a quick question.

Somebody asked me if they could use painter`s tape as an alternative to a front bra for a few days. I honestly did not see a problem but told him I`ll get back to him.

He said he`ll be driving a total of just a 1000 miles and the car will be outside for about 6 days max. He`s using it primarily to avoid road debris.

Should I caution him against such? I don`t think I`ve ever recall reading about the clearcoat having issues with the tape

NavindraLR
08-15-2007, 08:03 PM
I just have a quick question.

Somebody asked me if they could use painter`s tape as an alternative to a front bra for a few days. I honestly did not see a problem but told him I`ll get back to him.

He said he`ll be driving a total of just a 1000 miles and the car will be outside for about 6 days max. He`s using it primarily to avoid road debris.

Should I caution him against such? I don`t think I`ve ever recall reading about the clearcoat having issues with the tape

it`s fine to use the tape, but make sure its the blue 3m painters tape for sensitive surfaces, and try not to park the car in the sun, or the glue might melt, and be a real pain to take off later. My friends and I always used to use that stuff to drive out cars. Last year we had to use it to drive from NY, to PA, for SEMA, and this was in the summer, and there was no problem. Bumpers were perfect, with no rock chips :cool:

getright
08-15-2007, 08:16 PM
DO NOT USE THE GREEN/LIGHT GREEN pro or performance or something like that. I just tried it to tape of the trim and badges on my g and it left glue all over the place and I didn`t get very close with the rotary (slow speed around the edges anyway). I have had great luck with the blue tape though. Would you be covering the whole front fascia?

bad venge
08-15-2007, 08:54 PM
I`ve had good luck with the spray on bra ...Unfortunately it does not hold up to heavy rain and need to be reapplied

TRD-22
08-15-2007, 10:29 PM
The only experience I`ve had with blue painter`s tape was having it on for about a day at most in the garage fully shaded.

I did, after reading this, head over and gave him a roll of my painter`s tape (3M Blue) that I have lying around. Pretty much did just the front bumper and down.

With that said, I`ve actually gotten a little bit of residue from the tape before but came off easily. I guess I should tell him tomorrow before he heads off that he should wash the car and clay it if needed when he returns.

az57chevy
08-15-2007, 11:37 PM
You`d swear this is a hoax but stand by for the blue car road trip

VWvortex Forums: What happens when you let 2 mk1 kids drive your S4 from NY to Seattle? (56k, not a chance) (http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2918517)

BTW Isn`t SEMA held in October/November?

TRD-22
08-16-2007, 07:32 AM
I have seen that thread before which is sorta why I brought it up to my friend.

The only concern is, that Audi was in very cold temperatures. This roadtrip my friend is taking is going south to the Carolinas in 80+ degree temps. The package of tape does say "Sun resistant up to 14 days"

imported_steveo3002
08-16-2007, 09:37 AM
in my experiance the glue will become hard to remove if the tape gets damp/wet at any stage

i wouldnt do it

audicoupej
08-16-2007, 10:07 AM
Blue tape works fine. I had it on for a few days. Thread for reference: (with pics)

http://autopia.org/forum/click-brag/83987-front-end-protection-91-accord-interior-56k-no.html?highlight=front+end