PDA

View Full Version : Scratched Factory Wheels

ruttrow
08-15-2007, 08:54 AM
When I did the detailing on our cars a couple of weeks ago I was using a 500 watt Halogen light next to me. When looking @ the wheels using that light I have tons of scratches that appear to be from some sort of brush/brushes. I would also say that the scratches do not go beyond the clear coat on the wheel. When the light is not on, you cannot see the scratches. I would like to know 2 things, what should I use to remove the many light scratches? And is wheel glaze worth the money? If so, brand? If it matters, the wheels in question are on a 2007 Ford Fusion SEL. Thanks in advance.

mikebai1990
08-15-2007, 09:00 AM
I`d probably try the Mother`s Powerball+Mother`s Polish.

jasonmac
08-15-2007, 09:29 AM
I don`t care for wheel-specific waxes/sealers, I use AIO/KSG and alternate diluted Griot`s Wheel Cleaner and regular car shampoo for weekly washes. I top the AIO/SG with Danase Wet Glaze every so often for added gloss. To me, the looks of wheel wax, et al, just doesn`t look as good as AIO/SG/DWG.

The Mother`s PB might do the trick for you, or you could try by hand first just to see if elbow grease will take the mars out.

ruttrow
08-15-2007, 10:15 AM
Thanks Guys

PhaRO
08-15-2007, 11:22 PM
You may also consider purchasing a boars hair wheel brush. I`ve used mine for 9 months now on about 1000 vehicles. Was worth the $20 for me and it is holding up nicely and should last for 1000`s more. Another thing to look at is if the scratches are all over the wheel they are probably from the brush bristles. If they are very short scratches and widespread but not all over the wheel they may be from the brush block. If when you are cleaning the wheel you hear the block knocking the wheel it is likely leaving a fine scratch. You can cover the block with different things, I covered mine with hot glue using a hot clue gun. Dirt cheap and worked out great.

Accumulator
08-16-2007, 01:29 PM
Yeah, a soft BHB is how I do wheels too.

Most wheels are clearcoated and the clear is usually thick and pretty tough. I`d polish out the marring with a product that works OK by hand (those PowerBall things spook me...too much like a rotary for my taste); I usually use my old 3M PI-III twins. It can take a while to do the work by hand, but you should be able to at least make them a lot better.

Then I protect them with multiple applications of a good LSP (KSG, UPP, Collinite 845). Spray sealants can make for a nice quick touchup every few washes, and I generally spritz them with FK425 after *every* wash.

ruttrow
08-16-2007, 07:37 PM
Thanks. I`m going to give XMT360 a shot over the weekend. Not a big fan of the powerball.