PDA

View Full Version : Some new Duragloss stuff & WMF

frostydog
08-14-2007, 07:47 PM
I had a chance to try out some of the Duragloss marine products this past weekend. I went over to a buddy`s place and we used his BMW 330 to try them out on.

I should note...while this BMW is well kept (regular washing & waxing) it is almost 5 years old with ~50k miles on it and has never been polished. I was able to convince my buddy this past spring to clay it, but have yet been able to convince him to invest in a PC and some polish (though I think he`s close to caving).

We ended up putting a coat of CG`s WMF on; this somewhat helped with the lack of polishing (the car is gunmetal/silver) and actually brought out a light purpleish tint in the paint, which was really nice. The first couple pics below show a little of the coloring I`m talking about...the color is more evident with the naked eye.

Here`s what we used/did:

DG 901 Car Wash

DG 501 Marine Polish - After reading a few post from Al-53 about it, I decided to give it a try. This is a really nice product. Seemed to be a pretty strong cleaner, it got off some pretty good marks/stains from the paint. Easy on, easy off.

DG 601 followed by 105 - We let this cure over night.

The next day the car looked really good, but we couldn`t stop there…

Next was CG Wet Mirror Finish (via PC) - I`ve only had a chance to try this on my black car. I was really pleased to see what it did for lighter color paint. It darkened the paint nicely and gave it a nice deep gloss.

We let the WMF cure...topped it with DG AW and then a final wipe down with DG 521 Marine Detailer.

When all was said and done the car looked great.

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa24/flamman1/good1.jpg

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa24/flamman1/good2.jpg

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa24/flamman1/100_3479.jpg

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa24/flamman1/good13.jpg

GlossyTundra
08-14-2007, 07:51 PM
Looks great.

Got a question though, wont WMF take off anything you put on before? I thought it had a little cleaner in it.

steelwind101
08-14-2007, 08:09 PM
The car looks great!!

I cant say i recommened people trying Marine products on their cars, esp. polishes. They ussally have very strong cleaning action, more so then cars!?

Seems to have worked out good for you though!!

Geoff

AL-53
08-14-2007, 09:00 PM
Looks great....the 501 is a serious cleaner....but also very slick alone if left to set up over nite...I did a truck half and half of 105 and 501 to see how they stand up..both look alike and both are slick...my buddy does about 600 miles a week....and on construction sites all day..and the bot are holding up....I plan on doing a 501 topped with 105 this winter....

Geoff..Dg said it will work fine on paint....its for Marine or RV....it says for painted surfaces also...

AL

felthove
08-14-2007, 11:31 PM
I used the 501 to clean my wife`s van a few weeks back before applying the 105. Great combo. I`ve also switched over completely to the marine detailer. Glad to see others liking the marine line!

ThEGuN1
08-15-2007, 01:27 AM
Nice! Beautiful car.

steelwind101
08-15-2007, 02:38 AM
HMM!! Maybe their Marine is not as strong as others i have used, i might give it shot!!

frostydog
08-15-2007, 07:35 AM
Brandon 1 - I called CG`s and asked that exact question. They told me before or after, whatever I think looks best. The description on the website has about 100 adjectives for WMF (typical CG’s), but I don’t think cleaner is one of them. Also, I’ve been fooling around with WMF for a couple months now and I can’t really say I’ve ever noticed any cleaning ability from it. What I notice most is that it darkens the paint (which can be a good or bad thing), definitely adds gloss and as I’ve just learned with this BMW…adds a little coloring (again can be good or bad). We started with DG105 because my buddy wanted the lasting protection 105 offers; I have yet to come to a conclusion on how long WMF will last.

Al-53 – Thanks for the recommendations….I think I found my new cleaner wax. And at the price for a 16 oz bottle, available locally. It just can’t be beat.