PDA

View Full Version : Are there any worthwhile claybar substitutes?

Gopher
08-14-2007, 07:09 PM
I`ve got a couple of large, dark vehicles I need to detail and really don`t wanna clay the whole things. Are any of those high tech sponges or the turtle wax liquid clay or any of those claybar via porter cable methods effective?

BobD
08-15-2007, 07:05 AM
I`ve got a couple of large, dark vehicles I need to detail and really don`t wanna clay the whole things. Are any of those high tech sponges or the turtle wax liquid clay or any of those claybar via porter cable methods effective?

I use the Clay Holder Pad (http://store.danase.com/clhopadfordu.html)for a lot of the larger vehicles I do.

pootoo12000
08-15-2007, 09:23 AM
Yes. The Hi-tec body sponge. Also called the elastomeric sponge. Many sites stock it, David B sells it as part of the Ultima line. Do a search on this and other forums, works quite well! In the area of $20. IMO it works better than clay.

SpoiledMan
08-15-2007, 09:30 AM
Yes. The Hi-tec body sponge. Also called the elastomeric sponge. Many sites stock it, David B sells it as part of the Ultima line. Do a search on this and other forums, works quite well! In the area of $20. IMO it works better than clay.

Agreed and it never sticks to your hands or the paint.

Glossy McGlosserton
08-15-2007, 11:22 AM
Also, if you drop it, just rinse it off well and keep on.

BINGO53
08-15-2007, 11:43 AM
I have had excellent results with the Hi Tech Body Sponge, but you will still need to have conventional clay on hand for the tight spots.

Deep Gloss Auto Salon
08-15-2007, 11:55 AM

Any links for just the sponge and not the entire kit?

Gopher
08-15-2007, 01:23 PM
Danase,

That clay holder pad is an interesting idea. The last two vehicles I have to do are on the larger side... maybe that would be worth checking out. Do you find it much quicker/easier?

That pad/sponge were pretty much exactly what I was curious about. I`ve read mixed things on the hi-tech sponge--particularly related to it being extremely easy to damage and not being as durable as advertised. The support you guys are giving it makes me lean towards learning for myself though.