PDA

View Full Version : How slow can you go???

max080
06-13-2005, 07:26 PM
Well, thought I would give all of you pros a little chuckle before I get into my question. Washed my car tonight and clayed the hood and washed the hood again, I was finally gonna give the pc a shot for the first time. Well, I get the ssr1 on the pad, start to work it on about 3 just to get used to it and realize the cord was hitting the hood. So I pull up the machine (without turning it off) and polish starts flying. Holy Sh@# can this thing fling some stuff. So, the rest of the evening was spent cleaning up polish splatter from the garage and all over the windshield, the hood, the sides, etc........
So, with that said, how slow do you all move the machine when working in a polish. I read all of the tutorials on the site, but just can find on how slow I should be moving.

zannard
06-13-2005, 09:31 PM
In my opinion it all depends a various factors. Type of pad, type of product, outside temp, paint temp, condition of vehicle, size of area you are working.

Following the tutorial I would say stick to a small section at a time and work that section at what I would call a crawl. Work the product as directed.

Basically it comes down to trial and error. Practice, practice, practice.

JaredPointer
06-14-2005, 07:22 AM
Someone posted some scientific looking data at one point about this very question. In layman`s terms, if you are attempting defect removal, the answer is slowly and more than one pass usually.

Beercan31
06-14-2005, 03:28 PM
In my opinion it all depends a various factors. Type of pad, type of product, outside temp, paint temp, condition of vehicle, size of area you are working.

Following the tutorial I would say stick to a small section at a time and work that section at what I would call a crawl. Work the product as directed.

Basically it comes down to trial and error. Practice, practice, practice.

That`s some good advice zannard

You don`t want to work the pc as if you were hand waxing......Be patient let the machine do the work...Your there just to guide it.....Most of the time "depending on what product I`m using" I leave a 1/2-3/4 inch over lap but never more than a half of a pad.

Rich

JeffM
06-14-2005, 06:04 PM
I think everyone has done that haha, i know i have anyways....

I like to move the pad slow enough to work in the polish, but not so slow that the polish is drying out waiting for me to get back to it.

Ever use a shop vac to pick up a big pile of sand? Kinda like that slow.

max080
06-14-2005, 06:51 PM
Thanks for the input everyone. Anyone have advice for getting polish out of your ears? :rofl

Beercan31
06-15-2005, 03:20 PM
Ok Thinking out loud...
Machine stays pretty much in front of you while you work....hmmm turn head to look at something?....
Naaa why would the PC still be running,? Think safety......
AHHH HAAAA I goy it, Your to short to reach the roof center line and on your tippy-toes you turned your head to get that last inch.and Wham-o Polish in your ear:lmfao .....
How else can you get POLISH in your ear?:confused:
BUT wait!!!! ....You Said EARS that`s plural (I`m Quick todaylook out)
You didn`t learn the first time.......Got-cha (rotflmao)

You got me beat.
How did you get Polish in your ears? :dunno
I gotta` see this answer.

max080
06-15-2005, 03:36 PM
No No No, you got it all wrong. I was listening to see if I was correcting the paint. Just put your ear up to it and you can see all the swirls you`ve eliminated :hah :rofl :lol