PDA

View Full Version : Apply wax by hand?

Stratous
08-14-2007, 05:33 PM
I`ve noticed some people and brands referance to apply the Concourse wax by bare hand...

To me that is just rediculous because all of the greeses and oils on your hands...Besides how can you keep your hand wet enough to apply it evenly?

What are your thoughts? What do you use?

the other pc
08-14-2007, 06:17 PM
Zymol says they intentionally formulate their waxes to be applied by hand. They say that the heat from your body is part of the process. Presumably their products aren’t bothered by human skin oils.

I haven’t tried them myself.

PC.

danforz
08-14-2007, 06:47 PM
I`ve always felt rubbing the stuff on by hands impresses clients but thats it.

kapinnn
08-14-2007, 07:36 PM
I do it to impress customers. It`s far easier to use a hand applicator or a LC black pad and a PC.

imported_Islander
08-14-2007, 07:44 PM
I had Vitoria Concours "RED" Wax recommended to me by a member of this forum for black paint. It is a wax that is applied with the bare hand. The wax does melt a bit on your hand, and goes on in a rather thin and even coat. It`s very easy to do, no need to worry about skin oils as your hand is pretty wet with wax.

I like the advantage of feeling for any imperfections while waxing. Just like the karate kid; wax on with right hand, wax off with left hand with microfiber towels. It`s a great wax for deep wet looks on dark colors.

Bobby G
08-14-2007, 09:06 PM
I`ve noticed some people and brands referance to apply the Concourse wax by bare hand...

What are your thoughts? What do you use?

This was marketing BS created by Zymol way back when they could not get their wax formula to apply properly. By putting it in your hand it warmed the wax and went on without streaking. The BS stuck, mostly the I-don`t-know-any-better German car owners in the Mid-Atlantic states.

It`s pure BS!

lbls1
08-14-2007, 10:59 PM
I`ll weigh in my thoughts carefully; I respectfully disagree. The Zymol EG waxes are ideally applied via hand because of the formulation of the compound, which would cause excessive use and streaking of the surface if its applied with an applicator.

I have used Zymol waxes for several years, and I have found that the application by hand works best with using their Estate Glaze waxes. Zymol makes many other waxes, apart from their estate glaze line, that can be applied by an applicator.

With Zymol Concours and the other models of the EG line, you can apply the wax with your hand (your hand of course will become soiled) and manage to get an appropriate amount of the wax applied over the entire surface. Zymol describes using your palms to apply the wax; However, you can also apply the wax with your finger tips. An effective method that I use is to wear soft latex gloves to apply the wax. The latex will not mar the paint surface, and works well to shield your surface from any accidental marring which could come from a rough hand surface or finger nails. If you decide to use gloves, they MUST be of latex or cotton or any scratch resistant material; Never (ever) use plastic, clear rubber or nylon gloves, as they will cause micromarring.