PDA

View Full Version : How much paint cleaner do you use?

Bert
08-13-2007, 03:46 PM
Last year when I bought my Meq`s Polymer Sealant 20, I also bought the Medallion Paint Cleaner. The guy who sold me the product said to sparingly apply the sealant. He said if you apply the sealant to thick, your not helping anything, your just throwing you money away. However, on the paint cleaner, he said you will need to use that pretty liberally, may even need to use half the bottle (16 oz) depending on how much cleaning the paint needs. Since then, I have went pretty hog wild with the paint cleaner.

After reading on Autopia for the past month or two, I am starting to question that recommendation. When applying paint cleaner, how much do you use? I guess I should say, how much do you use in comparision to how much LSP do you use? The next time I clean my car, I will probably use up the rest of my medallion and will switch over to the Sonus cleanser I purchased.

Bigpoppa3346
08-13-2007, 03:51 PM
I would say if you are using over 2 oz. of product on an average sized car, you are using way too much. Unless the paint is oxidized or very very dirty.

PhaRO
08-14-2007, 12:06 AM
I use the Wolfgang Polish Enhancer cleaner (forget the exact name). I`d say 2oz on average.

Black240SX
08-14-2007, 12:21 AM
Yes, a couple of ounces sounds about right.

You need to work it vigorously to make the abrasives break down and give the best shine. If you use half a bottle, your arm will fall off before you get it all broken down.

Accumulator
08-14-2007, 12:25 PM
If it takes more than a few ounces to do a vehicle (even something Suburban-sized), IMO you`re either using the wrong product or using much more than is needed.

Bert
08-15-2007, 11:41 AM
IMO you`re either using the wrong product or using much more than is needed.

Or the the guy at the Louisville Meguiars store gave me bad advice.:rolleyes:

sixty7mustang22
08-15-2007, 11:46 AM
Do you clay first? That would cut down on how much cleaner polish you will have to use. I can tell you right now that half a bottle on a car is way to much unless it is only a 4oz bottle.

Accumulator
08-15-2007, 11:59 AM
...[perhaps] the guy at the Louisville Meguiars store gave me bad advice..

Wouldn`t be the first time. I`ve discussed my, uhm, opinions regarding Meguiar`s customer service reps` "advice" with Mike Phillips before; it`s no secret that I don`t recommend that people rely on them.

Bert
08-15-2007, 02:23 PM
Wouldn`t be the first time. I`ve discussed my, uhm, opinions regarding Meguiar`s customer service reps` "advice" with Mike Phillips before; it`s no secret that I don`t recommend that people rely on them.

The Mirror Glaze guy in Louisville has been mentioned on here before with people questioning the solidity of his advice. The last time I talked to him was before I really started reading autopia. I asked him about clay. He replied that for a few instances, clay works well but using on a regular basis (as is recommended here) there is no point. That and said being a MF drying towel is not needed so long is the bath towel is 100% cotton.

Fortunately I am giving Sonus, Klasse, Zaino, and Werkstatt products a try so I won`t be using Meguiars products and will just rely upon autopia for detailing advice.

imported_grease
08-15-2007, 02:57 PM
The Mirror Glaze guy in Louisville has been mentioned on here before with people questioning the solidity of his advice. The last time I talked to him was before I really started reading autopia. I asked him about clay. He replied that for a few instances, clay works well but using on a regular basis (as is recommended here) there is no point. That and said being a MF drying towel is not needed so long is the bath towel is 100% cotton.

Fortunately I am giving Sonus, Klasse, Zaino, and Werkstatt products a try so I won`t be using Meguiars products and will just rely upon autopia for detailing advice.Don`t count out Meg`s products just because the rep was a moron. Meg`s make lots of great products.

Also, If you are going to try Werkstatt products, Id skip the Klasse, as Werkstatt is an improved version of Klasse (speaking about equivalent purpose products, obviously)

I can`t believe a company like Meg`s let these idiot`s belch their useless dribble, so often. They need a better screening process...they need to stop employing (insert name of random Meg`s dumbazz rep here)

Bert
08-15-2007, 04:06 PM
Don`t count out Meg`s products just because the rep was a moron.

I like the guy, it just sounds like he doesn`t know what he is talking about. I am not counting out Meg`s because of him, I just want to try some other products I am reading about on here.

Also, If you are going to try Werkstatt products, Id skip the Klasse, as Werkstatt is an improved version of Klasse (speaking about equivalent purpose products, obviously)

Werkstatt is an improved version of Klasse AIO or Sealant Glaze? Or does Werkstatt sell both an AIO and a LSP?

I can`t believe a company like Meg`s let these idiot`s belch their useless dribble, so often. They need a better screening process...they need to stop employing (insert name of random Meg`s dumbazz rep here)

The guy doesn`t work for Meg`s, he owns a Mirror Glaze franchise - has owned it for twenty something decades. Because he sells Meg`s products through a franchise, I doubt Meg`s has an effective way to know if a franchisee is giving out decent advice or not. The only way they would know would be if someone complained to the Meg`s central office or if Meg`s were to employ a "mystery shopper" program across the country.