PDA

View Full Version : The Edge rotary pads from 4-Star

NattyBumppo
06-12-2003, 09:04 AM
Finally got to try one of the Edge rotary pads I received from the online store here at DC. I purchased 4 pads in varying grades; yellow medium cut, green light cut polish, blue soft polish and white fine polish.

The Edge pads have a flat surface with convex ends that completely surround the backing plate allowing you to get up and under things like mirrors and work around trim pieces with relative ease. The velcro backing is very nicely fastened to the pad and the backing also lists each color and it`s usage/cut level which is a nice touch for quick reference. The green light cut pad definetely felt a tad more agressive than the blue or white pads but softer than the yellow medium cut. One thing that struck me as odd is at at the very middle of the pads there is a slightly loose, round piece of foam that is about the size of a half dollar. It doesn`t come off the pad but you can press it and move it around a little with your finger. Not exactly sure why it is there or if I was supposed to remove it? Dwayne.....can you fill me in on that?

Did a quick Spray and Wipe on the entire passenger side on my F150 then broke out the rotary and green light cut polish pad with 3M PI-III Machine Glaze. After reading numerous posts regarding the new 3M glaze I couldn`t help but to spend money on something I really don`t need but what the hell. Working with the pad seemed very easy although keeping it completely flat against the surface was not as easy as lifting the trailing edge just a tad. Seems I have the most success with pretty much any pad by using the slight tilt method on the trailing edge. Anyway, I worked the 3M PI-III with the pad until the product was virtually gone and whatever left buffed off effortlessly. The result was a very pleasing, gleeming finish ready for a fresh coat of EX (applied by hand).

The green light cut pad and glaze combo was easily able to remove a few spots I had noticed over the last week or so and zero buffer marks or swirls were left behind. I did appreciate the "edge" design of the pads and how it enabled me to get up close to window molding and under the mirror. Very handy design.

All in all the Edge pads seem to be a very good value given their low price. The 9" pads are less expensive that Meg`s 6.5" pads. Add the versatility of having a wide array of varying cut levels (they even have a black heavy cut pad that I didn`t get" and you have all the bases covered.

Natty

JeffBruce
06-12-2003, 09:38 AM
Good...I almost got them and deleted it off my last order..
Did you hose them down and air dry??
9 inches pads...hummm...did you use 8 inch pads before ???
Splatter..any splatter???

may have to put some on next order...

Also, I haven`t heard from Dwayne in awhile...vacation or something i guess..
jeff

NattyBumppo
06-12-2003, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by JeffBruce
Good...I almost got them and deleted it off my last order..
Did you hose them down and air dry??
9 inches pads...hummm...did you use 8 inch pads before ???
Splatter..any splatter???

may have to put some on next order...

Also, I haven`t heard from Dwayne in awhile...vacation or something i guess..
jeff

Actually I didn`t take a measuring tape to them but they did look like 9" compared to the 8" AutoInt pads sitting on the cabinet shelf right next to them. When I get home I`ll give them a quick measurement and let you know. So the next logical answer is yes, I`ve used 8" pads before. I have a few from AutoInt that I like very very much. THey are xtra fine Euro style polishing pads. Super soft and extremely thick compared to any other pad I`ve seen.

No problem at all with splatter.....I smeared the product over the panel first before even starting the buffer.

What? Dwayne gets vacation? Goldbricker!!!!!!!

rtbrick
06-12-2003, 11:32 AM
I only see the Meguiars and Das Polster foam pads at the online store. Am I overlooking the other brands?:confused:

NattyBumppo
06-12-2003, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by rtbrick
I only see the Meguiars and Das Polster foam pads at the online store. Am I overlooking the other brands?:confused:

They are listed under the section for high speed rotary pads and accessories here;

http://www.premiumautocare.com/hispbuac.html

Natty