PDA

View Full Version : Calling all black vehicle owners

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

LQ9SS
08-12-2007, 02:23 PM
My truck was profesionally buffed the begining of the summer, the guy did an outstanding job and the paint looked almost flawless under the sun and a 500 watt light. I have been washing with a sheep skin mitt, 2 bucket method, Danase micro-fiber WW towels, and applying Zaino on a regular basis. I now look at my truck under a 500 watt light and all of the swirls and micro-marring is coming back. I am kinda confused, I am using all the "right" products and methods and I am still gettting swirls and marring.

My question is, am I expecting the impossible by not getting any swirls or marring even if I am using the the correct method and products? The swirls and marring are not terrible but they are now noticable.

roadmaster_Tx
08-12-2007, 02:28 PM
How long has it been since the car was polished? Generally speaking when it comes to black paint, you will eventually have to do a light repolish every year or so (considering you keep it in good condition). Other factors such as the hardness of the clearcoat also come into play. My 1995 Lexus Gs300 had single stage black paint which was VERY soft and I had to be twice as careful when washing/drying the car.

LQ9SS
08-12-2007, 02:53 PM
It has been 4 months.

rwisejr
08-12-2007, 03:26 PM
Are you QDing frequently? daily ? I find that QDing is usually the main cause of this . I now only QD during drying after a full wash.

LQ9SS
08-12-2007, 03:31 PM
Nope, I only QD after a wash.

I really started noticing the marring since I have been using a WW with the satin edges.

BlackElantraGT
08-12-2007, 04:21 PM
It`s been a little over a year since my car was last polished, but IIRC by the 4 month period I started noticing light swirling too. I don`t think it`s possible to keep a black car swirl free for as long as many of us would like. At 4 months, I could live with it but now that it`s over the 1 year mark, it`s starting to look like most of the other cars on the road, but still nowhere near as bad as a majority of the cars on the road.

violentveedub
08-12-2007, 06:15 PM
I`d say around 4 months until I start noticing too. It`s not a big deal since I juts throw a finishing pad on the rotary and with something like FPII I`m back to perfect in a few hours.

I 2 bucket wash with Eurow sheepskin mitts and use 2 viking microfibers to dry. I don`t think (barring what I would cal ridiculous measures) you can avoid some light wash marring.

Egleone6
08-12-2007, 06:20 PM
Nope, I only QD after a wash

QD?? What is this. Newbie

sspeer
08-12-2007, 06:26 PM
QD?? What is this. Newbie

Quick Detailer (spray)

Egleone6
08-12-2007, 07:38 PM
Quick Detailer (spray)

I have never used this before, how well do they work?

SVR
08-12-2007, 07:58 PM
Are you blot washing or using no pressure with the mitts and gliding them along the paint

Blot drying is the only way to go.

Lay the towel over the area. Tap it a few times then lift off and move to next panel

Also if you use the right QD, most of the water will vanish without a trace.

Bigpoppa3346
08-12-2007, 08:03 PM
Are you blot washing or using no pressure with the mitts and gliding them along the paint

Blot drying is the only way to go.

+1. Blot drying is really the key with black cars.

BaseSteala112
08-12-2007, 08:50 PM
+1. Blot drying is really the key with black cars.

Or compressed air.

LQ9SS
08-12-2007, 09:00 PM
I have never used this before, how well do they work?

Try your best not to hi-jack threads. Just given` ya a heads up.

ptaylor_9849
08-12-2007, 09:21 PM
I have two black cars including a black corvette that scratches just by looking at it. I have 2 great tips for you. Number one: buy a foam gun, it really will eliminate future marring. Number two: switch from Zaino to Clearkote and try their RMG. I love Zaino but it is not forgiving on black and will actually exacerbate your cobwebbing in direct sunlight. RMG will darken your black paint and hide any swirls or cobwebbing. I still use Zaino on my charcoal Tundra but not on my black cars anymore.

Patrick