PDA

View Full Version : How long should Collinite 476 cure?

3puttjay
08-11-2007, 02:38 PM
I put on a layer of Coll. 476 on the family minivan this afternoon and I was wondering what the "cure" time was for it. Previously applied on my dad`s A8 and I wiped off after I applied it to the whole car. Is it going to be a pain to wipe off if I leave it on too long? I`ve left Coll. 845 on overnight and it was a cinch to wipe off in the morning. Any and all responses are welcome, thank you in advance.:D

wannafbody
08-11-2007, 02:43 PM
waxes don`t cure- they simply flash off their solvents and haze

cadillacman314
08-31-2007, 12:21 AM
I have used Collinite for years and and love it. I usually just apply by hand and then orbital buff it in twice, follow up with a soft towel and WOW! such depth in the shine !

Way2SSlow
08-31-2007, 08:33 AM
If, by cure time, you mean the time before you apply another coat...most people will tell you 12-24 hours. I usually wait until next wash myself if working with a wax as LSP.

JasonD
08-31-2007, 08:37 AM
I usually just apply by hand and then orbital buff it in twice, follow up with a soft towel and WOW! such depth in the shine !

Can you explain this a little further? I don`t quite understand what you mean by "buff it in twice". Are you doing this immediately after applying it or after it has time to haze over?

cadillacman314
09-01-2007, 10:50 PM
JDookie, When i go to remove the collinite i tend to find after i let it haze, that I put it on a little heavy so after i run the orbital around i change the bonnet and do it again, this seems to remove any foggy spots from the 1st one`s build up. nothing irritates me more that missed wax on a fresh finish!

JasonD
09-02-2007, 10:26 AM
Okay, I was just checking to make sure you weren`t using a method that could possibly introduce some marring. I don`t know what type of bonnet you are using but be sure to only use one made of microfiber, not cotton or foam. In general, dry buffing is not recommended but for removal of wax, it can be okay, just be very careful and don`t use any pressure at all.

Accumulator
09-02-2007, 01:44 PM
3puttjay- Noting that I`m something of a fanatic about thin applications (but less so with 476S), I`ve let it set up overnight and it buffed off with no problems. FWIW that was on ss black.

As for the "curing", without starting some :argue I`ll say that 476S will affect a solvent-action on previously-applied 476S if you do the second application too soon, like a few hours apart; this is not a "two coats in one afternoon" type of wax IME (unless perhaps if you spit-shine). Twelve to 18 hours seems to be enough to prevent this solvent-action, and after 24 hours I simply cannot get 476S to soften prevously-applied 476S no matter what I do. But I suspect that how aggressively you apply the subsequent applications can factor in (e.g., cyclo with pressure vs. very light hand application) so if you cut the time between applications short, don`t apply the subsequent ones aggressively.

Heh heh, note that I typed the above without using words like "layers" :chuckle: