PDA

View Full Version : Meguiar`s foam wax applicator pad things? Safe?

MSIGuy
08-11-2007, 01:33 AM
So, I`m new to detailing, I`ve got a white Scion xB and I`ve been trying to get the most shine out of it as possible. I`ve got some Meguiar`s carnuba on it now, and I like the shine, but was looking for a little more, so I picked up the NXT liquid wax, thought I`d give synthetics a go.

My question is, the foam applicator pad, is that safe for applying wax? Is it going to micromar or swirl? I`ve got terry cloth pads, and microfiber pads, which one should I use? The foam seems like it could mar my paint, which I won`t put up with.

Thanks!

dheath
08-11-2007, 01:34 AM
the megs foam pads are great, you will be fine.

mnguyen110
08-11-2007, 03:07 AM
Are you going to prep the paint first? If not i would use the mf pad for a little more bite cuz ntx does have very light cleaners. The foam pad is the lest aggressive.

MSIGuy
08-11-2007, 10:28 AM
I`m not going to be prepping the paint. I have some swirls, but nothing that`s worth worrying about.

So the foam pad is the one I wan tot use over microfiber or terry cloth pads? The foam one just seems like it would scratch since its kinda rough? How come it doesn`t?

gb387
08-11-2007, 11:01 AM
I`m not going to be prepping the paint. I have some swirls, but nothing that`s worth worrying about.

So the foam pad is the one I wan tot use over microfiber or terry cloth pads? The foam one just seems like it would scratch since its kinda rough? How come it doesn`t?

The applicator pads work very well for applying a wax by hand. IMO its easier to get a nice thin even coat with an applicator pad vs a terry/microfiber pad... just never had much luck with anything other than a foam applicator. As for scratching, its very gentle and you don`t have to worry about scratches/swirls from the pad, even more so once the pad has a little wax on it.

blondiems18
08-11-2007, 11:03 AM
they are very nice

dheath
08-12-2007, 01:11 AM
I only use the terry applicators for dressing the interior and the wheels (different pads for each use)

When I used the microfiber applicators, the pads took way too much product and eventually became caked with excess wax. It also didn`t allow for a thin even coat, it applied heavier and left quite a bit of wax buildup on the car.

The foam pads are what I use for applying my Natty`s Blue and S100 waxes. They apply evenly and don`t suck up a lot of product allowing for thin coats.

White lexus 23
08-12-2007, 01:18 AM
I agree the foam pads work awesome just try not to drop it while you are waxing. if you drop it then start waxing again you could get it dirty and harm the paint.

Bunky
08-12-2007, 06:57 AM
Foam pads do not cake up but they sure seem to soak up product before they work efficiently. I purchased some 5-in LC CCS pads from Danase and plan to try those by hand. They sell a hand grip for them as well. The CCS foam supposedly takes less to prime compared to standard foam so we shall see.

Alfisti
08-12-2007, 07:29 AM
They sell a hand grip for the 5" pads?

Bunky
08-12-2007, 07:44 AM
They sell a hand grip for the 5" pads?

Yes. It is called the Easy Grip Applicator. It is a molded urethane "knob" with some velcro so it attaches just like it would on a backing plate. I subsequently found someone else that carries it as well but in a bundle. I think Danase used to sell it with a 5-in pad bundle too but changed to a 4-in Cyclo pad bundle. The feedback from others seemed positive. I have not had a chance to use it much but I plan to soon.